Luke + Rambler = Wow!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gi-gi-giggity, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Yesterday I was in one of my favorite local music stores and was checking out one of their Axis Super Sports (Rosewood). I've been thinking about getting one with the MM90s for quite a while now...still haven't pulled the trigger though. And it's probably a good thing I didn't. While killing time waiting for traffic to die down, I started to check out some other guitars when I found a Luke. Having never played one, nor having played anything with EMG's for about a decade +, I decided to plug it up to a Carr Rambler sitting next to it.
    I was blown away by the clarity that I was hearing. Now, I know it's no rocket science since EMGs are very clean and articulate and Ramblers are SMOKIN amps anyway....but it was kind of like that, "you put your peanut butter in my chocolate" moment. In your head you could have totally realized it having not heard the two together, but once you did, WOW!

None the less, that being said, I think I'm going to look for a Luke. I was very comfortable with the way it looked and played (loved the action, tremelo, etc.) and put the P90 axe on hold for a while since I'm still not completely settled on which way to go.

Oh yeah...I'll be looking at a Carr sometime in the future too. I've got the EL-34 and EL-84 amps that I want, so next it'll be time to get the 6L6 thing going. I like to have as many bases covered as possible...even if I don't need to. ;)

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

ive never tried a luke, but i own a rambler and can testify that it is an amazing amp to say the least....i can get so many great tones out of that amp that its not even funny.

3. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I had that experience plugging a Gadow with P90s into a Rambler at Indoor Storm.

4. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I should also add that I after the Rambler I plugged the Luke into a Lonestar to hear a different clean and gain setting. The cleans weren't anywhere near as nice as the Carr, but guitar still retained the dynamics.
    The guitar was set up with 9's and only 2 springs on the tremelo, so the strings were VERY slinky. I'd like to feel one with 10s and 3-4 springs.

None the less, the guitar is really, really nice and very comfortable to play.

5. Den

Den Member

That's cool anytime you find a combination of gear that really gets you excited. I feel the same way about my Rambler with all of my guitars. I've gotten more compliments on my tone since I got my Rambler than ever before ... and not just from other guitar players or gear nuts.

Of course, when people are raving about how great my gear sounds, I have to remind them that my tone is really in my fingers. :D

6. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

We orgainzed a Huber demo last w-end.
    One of the amps was the tester's '72 plexi, the other one my Carr Rambler.
    Both amps received playing attention by the audience - but everybody knew that a Rambler can be more easily purchased :D

What impressed the participants most, was the way the sound blooms and fills the space, despite the Rambler's 1x12" construction.
    And no - I don't deal in Carrs (wish I could), I just very happily own one :)

JJ

7. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

The MM Luke is truly a wonderful guitar...!! One of the easiest playing necks out there... and the EMG's are interchangeable since they just hook in with a clip...

8. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

I love my Luke!!! Great axe.

[​IMG]

9. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Hey Big Mike.. that color is outrageously cool indeed!!

10. John Bell

John Bell Member

I owned one a few months back.Loved the neck shape! Overall was a really good guitar.I couldn't get used to the low-wide frets.They are like jumbos dressed way down so 10's are a little hard to get a hold of and bend.The EMGs sounded surprisingly good.

11. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

The Luke is an amazing guitar to say the least.

I traded my ibanez universe for one straight up no top ups or whatever. And since then no looking back man. I'm actually contemplating buying a carbon blue pearl one...that color is simply killer!

The neck shape on the luke is to die for, a slight V, with loads of birdseye! The quality and amount of attention which goes into the fretwork of MM guitars make them all the more worth it compared to other guitars in the same range. The edges of my luke's fretboard have been sanded with a slight angle which give it this really nice broken in feel. All this is stock mind you.

I had my initially reservations with the EMGs, I've had a misconception that all they were ever used for was metal, ala. metallica etc. But they possess so much clarity it's amazing!

GET ONE MAN!

The forum on www.ernieball.com is a GREAT place to start for info on them. Plus LUKE himself posts there too!