• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Luminlays

music321

Never tried them. I know that LED inlays are offered too, and I'm curious if anyone has tried these.

willatkinson

Without tritium or something similar, I'm not sure they would make that much of a difference... I've used non-radioactive materials for pistol sites and found them to be good in theory, but useless in practice. I mean, are you really going to recharge these before and/or during a show?

The benefit of tritium is that it glows (period). It isn't "glow in the dark".

straightblues

. I mean, are you really going to recharge these before and/or during a show?
Yeah, I play three 1 hour long sets. I could recharge them at breaks. If they will work for an hour. I don't need them to be super bright, just so I can actually see them. I play several places that are nearly dark on stage. It is a major issue for me.

willatkinson

Well there ya go. These should be good... I read some earlier thread about folks just doing the side dots instead if the inlays.

willatkinson

Even better, you could drill small holes and insert tritium tubes until the side dots, and just cover them with clear lacquer.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I don't feel too bad about tritium in gun sights, they're a long way from my body, but in side dots that I'm sliding my hand over regularly, that'd make me nervous. Squamous cell cancer of the hand, anyone?

Mr God

If you don't want the hazzle you could also just use a flourescent pen and paint on dots on the side of the guitar, then cover that with clear lacquer.

lv

Silver Supporting Member
Wonder if they are using something like superluminova used in watches.

mcknigs

Silver Supporting Member
You could go the Gatton route and install Zircons where the side markers go.

When I've been in that position (really dark stage) I put white cloth tape on the back of the neck at the 5th, 7th and 12th frets.

DaveKS

But getting back to the problem at hand. I wonder how Jose Feliciano and Jeff Healy got/get by without seeing the fret markers?

straightblues

Well I suspect if I learned to play without vision then it wouldn't make any difference. I know it can be done. I stand on stage with a blind guitar/harmonica player and he is able to do it with no vision but I can't. That is why I asked about Luminlay. Does anyone have any actual experience with them?

Trending Topics