Lunchbox amp shootout with 12 amps! (Mesa, Orange, EVH, Peavey etc.)

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabinets Demo Videos and Soundclips' started by Guitarjon, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

Just two tracks. Otherwise the distortion texture would get too blurry...

PB26 and classicplayer like this.
  2. bman5150us

bman5150us Supporting Member

My Friedman Pink Taco is the head. I play it thru a 112 cab. I think it qualifies as a lunchbox amp.

Guitarjon likes this.
  3. EL84 Abuser

EL84 Abuser Silver Supporting Member

Is there an actual definition of what constitutes calling an amp a lunchbox?

I thought: a) made out of metal - like old lunchboxes. never seen one made out of wood. b) smaller in size/weight (compared to a wood version), and c) lower wattage

A 20 watt Friedman doesn't cut it imo.

Guitarjon likes this.
  4. bman5150us

bman5150us Supporting Member

I wasn’t aware there was an actual definition for a lunchbox amp. Always just thought people were referring to a lower wattage tube amp with a relatively small footprint. I personally categorize them that way. The PRS MT15 and Orange OR15 are pretty similar in size to my Friedman PT20.

Guitarjon likes this.
  5. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

I guess you both are right in a way. To me personally it's all about the size and low-wattage. As I explained, I don't think my Mark V 35 really hits that category since it's kinda big for a 'lunchbox' amp but the OR15 for example, despite having a normal head shell still feels like a lunchbox amp to me.

6. classicplayer

classicplayer Member

Be careful with the lingo here. A new word might creep into the discussion i.e. “Breadbox”.

classicplayer

Guitarjon likes this.
  7. classicplayer

classicplayer Member

The lunchbox “era” is a welcome one for yours truly. I started playing electric in hummmm 195x.
    I know, that makes me ancient and it's true. My point is that: my very first amp was the renowned Gibson “Skylark”.....the “lunchbox” of its day, so to speak. Twelve watts, 8” speaker with one volume and one tone knob. “TONE-FULL” was the word. Flash forward umpteen years and I'm down to lunchbox size and still “TONE-FULL” but in a modern way with an Orange Dark Terror. In between have been more than a couple of amps purchases both tube and solid state. What the expression was and still is “everything old is new again” is true. To me smaller amps mean tone-full amps and all one has to do is view the opening video in this thread to realize it.

classicplayer

Guitarjon and bman5150us like this.
  8. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

Couldn't agree more! :)

9. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

Good news! I got a used Tiny Terror today in really good shape. The only thing wrong with it is that the pilot light seems to be broken so I ordered a new one from Orange right away.

The amp sounds just as good as I was expecting, I already have a Dual Terror with the TT channel so I knew what I should expect, but yeah, this thing delivers!

I already have plans for a couple of videos... 1. I'm going to do a 'Tiny Terror vs Axe Fx III, Amplitube & Cypress TT15' video. Anyone know of any other modeling platforms that model the Tiny Terror Btw? And 2. A comprehensive shootout of all my Orange amps.... Should be fun!

classicplayer likes this.
  10. J Factor

J Factor Supporting Member

Great shootout! I have the Mark V:25 and am very pleased with it, but am unsure whether I've paired it with the right cabinet or whether I might prefer the Mini Rec slightly more. In this video, I preferred the V:35, but what were you using for IR? It might help me figure out what I need to try next.

So my H&K Tubemeister 18 is a lunchbox, because it's got a sheetmetal shell, but my Mark V:25 is not because it has a traditional tolex-covered wood shell? The sizes aren't that far off, but I get the distinction.

Guitarjon likes this.
  11. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

Thanks!

All the IRs I used are shown during the first full band sections. Hope that helps!

J Factor likes this.
  12. EL84 Abuser

EL84 Abuser Silver Supporting Member

I guess it's all about size really. I have a Ceriatone head (wood) that's marketed as a lunchbox.
    15.75" x 10" x 9.25" and 30 pounds!
    Must be the papa bear LB and the Mini-Rectifier is the baby bear LB.
    12.6" x 5.8" x 6.75" and 12 pounds.

1/3rd smaller and almost 1/3rd lighter. And it's rated 5 watts higher! :confused:

Guitarjon and J Factor like this.
  13. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

I have an ENGL Ironball on the way. Got it B-stock from Thomann! A lot of guys have been motivating me to get one so I just had to ;) Will be interesting to see how well this one compares to my Fireball 100. :)