1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lushest, watery analog chorus....under $200.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by codyj84, Jan 9, 2008.

1. codyj84

codyj84 Member

Hey guys,
    Im wanting to add analog chorus to my rig. Since BYOC is discontinued theirs, building is out. Whats the best chorus you know of for under $200??

2. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Boss CE-2 are still available under $200.00 and sound spectacular.

3. Jack

Jack Member

I hate to spam but the answer is Arion SFC-1 Stereo Fat Chorus. Mine is on ebay right now. I'm selling because I don't use chorus with my band. I ain't kidding. It's lush.

4. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I recently bought a BBE Mind Bender, and the more I use it, the more I like it. You can get them new on eBay for $100

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

H2O...(hence the name). The reason? It has a width control that lets you fine tune it. Also, as a very good buffer, a very nice echo, all in one, and the bypass buffer works for me anyway.

But if the chorus wasn't so nice, I would have sold it on long ago.

6. codyj84

codyj84 Member

What about the Line6 MM4? Anybody got any feedback on those??

7. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

If you can live with a piece of rack gear, check out the Boss CE-300. It sounds great in mono and absolutely magnificent in stereo. They are also dirt cheap on eaby - I got mine for $50 and see them come up for around that pretty regularly (I though I haven't seen one for a while). I wish I could rehouse mine into a pedal, as dealing with one piece of rack gear is a pain.

8. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

the ehx polychorus is by FAR the lushest, most spatial sounding chorus i've ever heard. Its absolutely the most excellent chorus pedal i've come across. Extremely lush and rich sounding with unlimited tweakability. Its $200, but it also comes with one of the most useable flangers around.

9. TimH

TimH Member

Analogman Clone Chorus?

10. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

the Jaques Meister Chorus or something like that is analog, cheap and sounds great!

11. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I just picked up the Carl Martin Classic Chorus and have to say it sounds great. Just a couple of things: First- don't run it on the Line 6 output of a PP2 or it'll hum like a banshee. Second- contact visual sound and pick-up their version of the MN BBD chips. I put sockets in the CM CC and popped the new chips in- very similar sound but I'd say a touch cleaner and less clock noise.

12. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Line6 MM4 and Boss CE-3 side by side: CE-3 sounds nicer/richer but you can get very close with the MM4 plus you can go beyond the stock settings if you wish.

13. 4styx

4styx Member

EH Small Clone is probably the lushest chorus out there and one of the cheapest.

14. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Less clock noise???
    What are you running with that thing??
    And why buy something that was designed to be nonsterile, and then "clean" it up:D
    And it is most oldstyle made...no compander..only filtering with resistors and caps....
    Buy the X2 if you want more clean modern chorus...not the CC!
    NB the L-6 output on that PP2 is unregulated and puts out 16v.....the chorus is 9v regulated only!
    Niels

15. Den

Den Member

I think it's Meistersinger ... I loved the chorus in this one, but it's not true bypass and it screwed up my tone when bypassed. Too bad ... very cool pedal.

16. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

Good points!

The line 6 thing was a mistake and I couldn't figure out what was causing my very minimal board to hum.

As far as the new chips, by clean it up I mean that the stock BL/China chips are really low grade. I'm fussy and could hear the clock noise when the amp volume was really up. The Visual Sound chips sound the same but the clock noise is contained.

I have to say that the CC is a great sounding, old school chorus and that's what I was looking for. BTW Rid, I see you're from Denmark- do you work for Carl Martin?

Thanks!

17. dbx

dbx Member

I can't say what's the "best" for your situation and all of this is a matter of your tastes/preferences...a couple that might be interesting for you to check out: HBE THC Chorus, Ibanez/Maxon BiMode Chorus. I can't find a larger/clear pic of the THC at the moment but here's the BiMode.

[​IMG]

The BiMode has two choruses (chori?) going on at the same time, depending on how you set the speed/width of each side you can get some good variety of chorusing going on...but you can't isolate either of the sides...

18. Rid

Rid Senior Member

There must be something causing this from the outside!!
    And the BL chips where chosen over MN3007...as we did not like that "harder" brighter less fat sound in this setup!
    The funky BLs where much more warm and fat....as neither of us who spent time developing this pedal, are much of a chorus fan in the first place!
    So we made something we would like ourselves....
    The clock is should not be audible under any normal circumstances!!
    We had it through a very very very loud DR201 Hiwatt......with dirt, no dirt all kinds of strange powersupplies....different guitars...all the shebang!!
    No clock!
    And the sound is deliberate lowfi and funky....I grew up in the 80s....I cannot stand that sterile clean chorus by a loooong shot:D
    I am too used to old Boss (CE-1 CE-2)and Ibanez chorus(CS-505).....
    Niels

19. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Ibanez Bi-mode chorus

20. iualum

iualum Member

...absolutely true (although because of Gear Page induced GAS (darn it!, lol) I've got about another 7 chorus boxes in addition to my Clone, some of the pretty expensive variety)...