Lushest, watery analog chorus....under $200.

southpawmax

HBE THC!!!! It is the current subject of my gas. Very lush and smooth sounding, it really gives clean stuff a whole new dimension

Axekisser

Rid,

How nice to hear from the developer of this pedal. Let me say that I love the sound of it very much. I agree it's very warm and reminds me of the early analog pedals.

In regards to the BL versus MN chips, I have to say that the sound (at least to me) is virtually the same with either chip set. Changing to the MN chips didn't make it sterile. The only thing I noticed was a reduction of the ticking. It's kind of weird but I don't think it's coming from outside. I'll investigate further.

Great job on a great pedal.

Thanks!

Rid

Hehe we had one unit with the MNs, and another with the BLs....loved how the BLs where much more responsive to the guitar, especially with drive, which I really do not like much as it always makes the sound thinner and more
"plasticlike"....but it added good to it, made some very fun overtones with a slight swirl to them....
Hmm ticking...sometimes no matter what, another LFO can bleed into other timebased units, or something digital can do the same...
I must say through all the testings(and we made alot...lol)
Thomas and me never heard any ticking, only in the first version that was hardwired;)
Hehe anyways...can you borrow another unit??
Maybe it has a slight glitch??
The trimmer needs to set right for it to work, and is the cap on the LF353(IC1) there??
Niels

gdwill2u

You don't need to spend a lot of money for a great chorus just get the EH Small Clone (as mentioned by others). It can be as subtle or as lush as you want.

Teh RedWizard

Supporting Member
Good topic...I'll get in here with something a bit more specific though.How about best chorus for that early '80's Lifeson sound?

Axekisser

The trimmer needs to set right for it to work, and is the cap on the LF353(IC1) there??
Niels
Rid, What's the procedure for adjusting the trimpot? Does that adjust the bias? Looking at the trace it looks like it runs a voltage to the BBD and Driver chips.

Also, I'll check again but I remember the cap being there. Funny thing is, the ticking really only appears when my guitar is plugged in. With a shorting or open plug on the input it goes away. Really not noticeable anymore.

I really enjoy the sounds the Classic Chorus makes. The added vibrato is subtle but adds a nice thickness. Great pedal!

Jack

I found the Meistersinger to be less "watery" that the post is asking for. I know these adjectives are pretty subjective. I think of Nirvana's "Come as You Are" as watery. That's a Small Clone, I think.

Rid

Hmm it is probally the LFO you are hearing, like when you do not play a flanger, you hear still the sweep....
And in full vibrato mode it is even harder to not hear:D as the clean signal is almost vanished and it is pure BBD signal.
Bias adjust it is, it was no good leaving a static resistor there, it increased the noise alot....so it gets trimmed!
Niels