Luther Allison

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Rotten, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

2. Tonezilla

Tonezilla Member

Saw Luther at the Varsity Theater in Baton Rouge during the mid 90's. Fantastic performer, one of my favorite blues shows. Very energetic live.

3. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

I love Luther Allison. Buy the "Live In Chicago" cds.

4. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

Luther was probably playing a backline rig there and I'll bet he was wishing he had a little overdrive grease in his sound.

While not my cuppa meat, Luther does not bother me until someone says something like, "I love blues and Luther Allison is my favorite blues act!".

5. Tonezilla

Tonezilla Member

Oh well...

6. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Usually I would completely agree with this sentiment in regards 99% of the artists out there who claim to be "Blues" but aren't. But it is pretty tough to call Luther Allison not a Blues artist! That is like saying Albert Collins wasn't Blues

7. Johns7022

Johns7022 Senior Member

Not many people can pull off a slow blues song with a great voice and a great improvised guitar solo...Luther was one of the best....

8. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

:huh

How was Luther Allison not a blues artist?

He's one of my favorite blues acts - so there!

9. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Must be that Motown records experience ;).

The guy first made his rep playing the Ann Arbor Blues and Jazz fests which included the cream of the crop of bluesmen.

10. nmontz

nmontz Member

I saw Luther a few months before he died. I went and looked at the ticket stub I saved and it was May 9, 1997...and he passed on in August. It was like the first or second night of their reckless tour. I sure couldn't tell he was sick although he must have been wracked with cancer. They played like a 5 hr. set....no breaks. They started a little before 9....and it was like 2:05 when they quit. I remember because I got a frickin' parking ticket for not moving my truck past a certain time. The intensity level was so high I thought the band was gonna blow the roof off the bar. The band was tight as hell and everybody was on fire the whole night. Every song they took it to the next level with extended jams on the end of each one...it was like a maceo parker or james brown show where everybody in the place was sweatin'. Most of the time they didn't even pause between songs...they just switched keys and played on...bam, bam, bam one song into another. It was one of those nights when you can tell the whole band is having a great great time. James Solberg on second guitar, Willie Hayes on drums....Amazing really. It made it into one of my top five shows. It still is burned in my brain really....I've never seen anything like it since....and I've seen and heard darn near everybody. I've even seen you play Jon....although I didn't know you then. I got to meet Luther and he gave me some great advice. He really took the time to talk to me one on one even when I was a stupid kid. I talked to James for a bit too and he remembered and talked to me for years after that when I saw him. On that subject, I think James is one of the best guitarists I've ever saw. He also is one of the most tasteful sidemen I've ever seen and when he gets to bouncin' he can really connect the dots on that guitar. I can't say that Luther is my favorite blues act....but if anyone saw him play a live show like I saw....I can see why they would.

11. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

agree on James Solberg being fantastic. There were occasionally times when I thought he even out-played Luther!

12. nmontz

nmontz Member

I loved talking with James. He has all these cool old vintage gibsons. Loved talking old motorcycles and he showed me his vintage greyhound he redid himself. Last time I saw him play he drove down to Ames to do a gig backing Son Seals with his brother on piano and the M-Shop and his pickup broke down on Hwy. 30. He had this mint looking early early 60's black 355. Just had it laying in the back of the pickup bed with his amp just like I would have!! It was the middle of winter too!! Anyway....here is James covering a Dylan song. I think Dylan and James knew eachother as kids. From what I remember I don't think his tone was this compressed as the clip in real life. But that his les paul custom had some serious bite. He just could get from A to Z on that guitar neck like nobody I've ever seen. It's been a few years though now since he has played down here in Iowa.

13. NashSG

NashSG Member

Luther Allison could really make a guitar scream and moan. He was a pretty intense and emotional player.

14. mudster

mudster High Prairie Wrangler Silver Supporting Member

Luther often played straight into a fender bassman reissue w/ a Les Paul. I saw him many times and even met him once. He was always using a bassman.
    Great guy, great tone, huge loss to music.

15. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the uplifting comments. :)

While I know Luther typically plays with a "greasier" sound, I thought the cleaner sound was great and it looked like he had a Bassman or two back there, his usual rig.

No matter how hard I try, I never seem to be able to let what other people say about an artist affect whether I like them or not. Whatever you call it, Luther played and sang from the heart and from everything I've heard, was a kind, kind man.

16. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

tell me this ain't blues...

17. teleman55

teleman55 Member

Gotta love Luther. Big influence on me.

18. Berlebster

Berlebster Member

I've seen Luther Allison once in my life , in a little town way down South France in 1980.
    Too bad : he was on cold turkey ;

19. Mike H

Mike H Member

Luther Allison is one of my all time favorites. He never got the recognition he deserved in the U.S.
    My band covers "Soul Fixin Man"

20. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

Aw, shucks; I had no intention whatsoever of kicking off another "ain't blues/is blues" grudge-match! It's just that with a drummer slamming the living sh*t outta some funk beat, and some sax player maniacally bouncing around the stage...well it's R&B/funk innit?

Doesn't matter; if a person wishes to assign a name to a type of music, I reckon I can learn to shut up...eventually.

Dig what you dig; call it what you want...