• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Luther Dickinson Guitar Question - Black Crowes

dewman

Anyone got a shot of his SG guitar up close? Its a bastardized SG that he uses for slide with what looks like Kay pickups and a bigsby and no finish on it.

I was thinking of buying one of those guitars and doing sort of the same thing- take the pups out of an old Kay or Harmony and mount them in a Gibson - maybe potting those pups first - and using a setup like that for slide...

russiancrowe

Here's a picture I took of him playing it in Sarnia on July 11, 2008. It is actually a SG Deluxe from sometime in the '80's. It has mini humbuckers and a bigsby from the factory.

Here's a picture from after he stripped it and took off part of the pickguard. I did not take this picture but have permision from the person who did to use it.

and one more after he stripped it and before removing the bigsby.

Last edited:

dewman

So is it three Kay/Harmony/Silvertone style bar pickups like in the stratatones? Or is there a humbucker near the bridge and two bar pickups? Cant quite tell.

He played that guitar in NC when they were in Raleigh I believe, and the tone was fantastic, especially the recorded tone (I bought the recorded version at their website). Very cool guitar concept. I know Ry Cooder has a strat similarly appointed and I used to have a Kay that ruled for slide, but you couldnt crank it for the feedback!

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Looks to me like gibson mini hums and a full size hum in the bridge.

Alvis

Last time I picked it up,Dec. ,it was all mini hums.The bridge p/u probably just looks bigger because it has a mounting ring around it .Luther don't use very much bridge pickup

dewman

cool- thanks. Hard to tell from that shot. Part of the tweeker in me wanted them to be old Kay pups I imagine. Minis in the SG- a cool idea. Sounds fantastic. Luther is the man....thanks fellas

8Painting

Russiancrowe, it is an SG deluxe, but they did re-run them in the 90's for a very short time also. It could be from then too.

dewman

That's one of my favorite songs by AYH. I also like the version with Audley and Robert on youtube.

todd richman

SG Deluxe with 3 mini hums. When I saw him from the front row in October it still had the Bigsby but was stripped and has a visible channel which was under the removed pickguard. The guitar sounded great for slide work. He seems to favor that and his late 70's bastardized black Strat with 3 Burns Tri-Sonic (Brian May style) pickups but also likes his newer Trussart with 3 pickups-a Filtertron, a hum sized P-90 and a bridge position full bucker and tuno-matic and stoptail-that guitar is pictured on James Trussart's myspace as are several new Tele styles that James did recently for Rich Robinson.

todd richman

Great video of NMA and Alvin. I wish Alvin would tour with The Crowes this summer so I can finally see one of my current guitar heros! Well, how about it Alvin?

todd richman

+1 for that and also let Larry Campbell go out with The Crowes since he was doing some sesssion work with them at levon's studio last few weeks during Cabin Fever. That would be a dream show with AYH, Luther, Larry C., Audley and Rich and for good measure, have Marc Ford's Neptune Blues Band and The Steepwater Band as openers-sort of another 2006 summer run like we had that year with DBT and Robert Randolph with the Crowes.

brain21

Resurrecting an old thread here....

Those are, BTW, Firebird hums in the SG, not "normal" mini-hums.

Now does anyone know what pickups he has in his Epi Flying V or in his 3-pickups black Les Paul Standard? Always loved the V tone, and was just checking out "Keep on Marchin" and his Black 3-pickup Les Paul and his (looked like) blue dyed flame LP both sounded awesome.

talpa

Platinum Supporting Member
I had heard about the guys back when...got the LP when it came out (2000?). LD sure got the moan going...I still can't cop the slide section of Po Black Mattie for shite...great little ditty.

is that a Tele/Twin ?

gushtone

Gold Supporting Member
Saw the Crowes a few weeks back at the Tower in Philly and Luther was playing what looked to be a stock SG classic as well as an ES-125 and an old Single Anni Gretsch and what looked to be a vintage a 335 through two Fuchs TDS's. I was right in front of him and I really thought his tone was teh worst I have heard from him, although he still played great. When I saw them about 18 months ago at the TLA (a MUCH smaller room) he played a Strat with 2 Burns Tri-sonics and an SG Special (could have been teh classic in hind sight) through a JCM-800 and a 4x12 and his tone killed and his playing was the best I have ever seen on video, live of otherwise.
He is so vibey and soulful and bad-ass!
Peace...

todd richman

I don't think that is a new Classic but an older late 60's SG Special-I have seen pics of it close up as well as from the front row at many Crowes shows and there appear to be holes below the tailpiece where the short version of the Vibrola was originally mounted. I was at The Tower also and I thought his acoustic set tone with the Gibby 125 and Gretsch Anni archtops was actually better than his electric tone.

Trending Topics