• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Luthier in North Jersey or NY?

Lolaviola

My friend in West Milford / Greenwood Lake needs a setup on acoustic guitar and knows no shop to take it to. It is a nice Japan Yamaha and might need some simple repairs (she mentioned tuning machines) so she is looking for a recommendation. Thanks!

Lolaviola

Looking for someone closer to West Milford North Jersey. I don't think it warrants a trip to Brooklyn....

tildeslash

Silver Supporting Member
You asked for NJ and get recommendation in NY.
Wow!

Some people just don't care to really read anything.
I tell you SS frets are better on a vintage radius than any modern flatter radius because that makes the tube sounds more pure and not like bee in a tin can like Crate. Solid state has it's place when blah blah blah......blah.

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
You asked for NJ and get recommendation in NY.
Wow!

Some people just don't care to really read anything.
I tell you SS frets are better on a vintage radius than any modern flatter radius because that makes the tube sounds more pure and not like bee in a tin can like Crate. Solid state has it's place when blah blah blah......blah.
actually, brooklyn is closer to him than asbury park
greenwood lake is part of ny state and NJ

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
My friend in West Milford / Greenwood Lake needs a setup on acoustic guitar and knows no shop to take it to. It is a nice Japan Yamaha and might need some simple repairs (she mentioned tuning machines) so she is looking for a recommendation. Thanks!
She's about 40 minutes from Dave's Sound in Whippany. I haven't been there in a long time (since I moved from the area), but Bill Baker is among the best there is anywhere.

Lolaviola

It's not a question of how close is Brooklyn. She's a Jersey redneck. She ain't going to the city!

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
Daves is still going? I have taken amps in for repair. They can do guitars too?
If Bill is still there, then absolutely! He's actually one of the very best (and yeah, I know everyone says that about their favorite guitar guy).

He's also an interesting guy. Cool story follows:

Bill was kind of a poorly-kept secret among the New York/New Jersey A-listers, so Ace Frehley started bringing his vintage stuff to Bill when it needed work. Bill had been a huge Kiss fan as a kid and so he'd do the labor on his own time for free. Ace would then return the favor by giving Bill some Kiss "souvenirs". Bill would thank him politely and put it away in a drawer.

After years of this, Bill somehow found out from a Kiss collector that the stuff he had was worth a fortune... an earring he almost lost turned out to be the one Ace wore on the first album cover. A neatly folded piece of cloth turned out to be the very first Ace costume. Pretty sure Bill bought his house from what he got out of the "Ace" drawer in his shop.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom