Luthier north jersey

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Dave is awesome, but in central NJ Ron.
Hope things are going well buddy !
David is a very dear friend of mine, as was his dad, Phil Petillo. David is a master luthier and inlay/marquetry artist, as you know. His work is absolutely brilliant. He fixed the crack in my Rickenbacker's headstock several months ago, and it plays as well as it ever did. Now that the summer gig season is coming around, I'll be taking David some work, as I pass by Ocean Twp all the time. I'll have him straighten and possibly reset the neck on my '29 National Triolian.

Blue4Now

Silver Supporting Member
I would try Tony Marchatelli of Majestic Guitars in North Caldwell. I would never use Bill Baker again for anything. Nor would I ever use Dennis MacPherson in Ringwood again. Both a couple of long stories that ended with one extremely dissatisfied customer. Let's just say neither one of them knows how to set up a Rickenbacker 12 string, and one of them blamed his lousy work on "a bad set of strings," after he charged me $60 to make the guitar unplayable.
Second this recommendation. Tony has done some fantastic work for me. He’s actually in Caldwell not North Caldwell.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Second this recommendation. Tony has done some fantastic work for me. He’s actually in Caldwell not North Caldwell.
I get mixed up, because all the towns here run together! I was at Tony's today picking up my CAR Strat.

johnny q

I’ve used Bill also, he does nice work for sure. Won’t regret using him. That being said I drive the extra 25 minutes and pay a little more for Dangelo(Phil). His work is just a step above anyone else I’ve ever used
Phil is an very talented tech and a nice guy, but his prices are way too high. Sorry, I know this is going to rub some folks the wrong way, but I call it like I see it. However, I pay the prices for the simple fact that I know of no one else in Northern Nj that can come close to his tech chops. Still though, I dont have to like it. I asked him for an estimate on a fret job for a 57 reissue Strat and by the time he was done, it was over $500.:confused:

FiestaRed869

I agree 100% he’s expensive, that’s why I tried a few other places. I always end back at him because when I get my guitar back from someone else it just doesn’t feel the same . I will say he’s never over done anything Or did stuff just to upcharge. He always calls if he thinks something else needs to be done. He’s great, listens, and really tries to get it the way you want it

FiestaRed869

Phil is an very talented tech and a nice guy, but his prices are way too high. Sorry, I know this is going to rub some folks the wrong way, but I call it like I see it. However, I pay the prices for the simple fact that I know of no one else in Northern Nj that can come close to his tech chops. Still though, I dont have to like it. I asked him for an estimate on a fret job for a 57 reissue Strat and by the time he was done, it was over $500.:confused:
I will add his prices aren't insane for certain things, some are a bit steeper. 99$ setups, 250$ fret level/crown/polish/setup, 99$ bone nut... all pretty much in line....

boldaslove1977

Silver Supporting Member
Not exactly North Jersey.... but....

Mike at Bordentown Guitar Rescue has worked on all of my guitars and he’s fantastic. Very reasonable rates too. He’s just outside of Trenton.

FiestaRed869

There’s lots of good techs in jersey, but something to think about is the cost of re doing things. A few times I tried someone who was cheaper , only to have Phil re do it and it cost me double.

Trending Topics