• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Luthier repair mistake

AtomicBlaze

Silver Supporting Member
I took my Ibanez RG 450dx to a Luthier to change the fretboard to Ebony with Stainless Steel frets total cost of $640. When his assistant was creating the ticket for the work order I specified no binding. When I picked up the guitar it had mother of pearl type binding, which to me looks terrible. I have no idea why he would have added binding much less a pearloid type binding. Everything else about the work was pretty good except the setup was bad (i.e. the intonation was way off, and the action way too low). I called him when I got home to let him know I was unhappy about the binding, and he said to remove the binding is not possible without completely starting over from scratch with a new fretboard. I told him that I did not want binding, but he did not volunteer to redo the work. Today I took in the guitar to ask him to redo the fretboard. I told him I would pay for the fretboard and ss fretwire if he redid the work. He seemed really upset even though I don't feel like I did anything wrong. Do you think it was wrong to ask him to redo the work for this type of mistake? Here is a picture of the guitar with the Mother of Pearl binding that I don't like.

Chandyland

Supporting Member
Wow, what a horrendous mistake on the luthier's part.

An honest person would have fixed the mistake at no charge to you. The fact that he won't even do it on your dime is completely ridiculous. I would not have offered to pay for the luthier to fix his own mistake.

You definitely did nothing wrong here.

AtomicBlaze

Silver Supporting Member
What does the repair ticket say?

If it says "no binding" it's 100% on him. If not, then you are somewhat to blame imho.
The ticket I was given didn't have the notes from the assistant about the work order. It only had a number which I guess is to identify me when I pickup the guitar like what you get at the dry cleaners. I did make it clear that I didn't want binding when I was creating the work order with his assistant.

mscion

I have to agree that the Luther should fix it for free. Maybe it gets a little complicated cause an assistant took the order. Do you have a copy of the order that says no binding? Is adding the binding an extra cost? From posted image the guitar looks nice to me but its not my guitar and I'm not paying for the work. Do you have an image of the original for comparison? Was wondering if the original binding was accidentally damaged by the luther and he replaced it with a new one thinking you would like it - which obviously backfired. If that was the case he should have contacted you immediately about how to fix it. Bottom line, is that it is really on the luther to fix mistake.

Ron Kirn

What does the repair ticket say?

kind of my thoughts too.. like, was the statement, "NO I do not want any binding peroid." or was it more ambiguous, "Nah, I don't need anything like that it's a little too pricey."

the reason, Often when working on a really nice guitar, i'll do something extra just for the heck of it.... thus if he felt you were electing not, for any number of reasons, perhaps he thought, I'll just throw it in for the heck of it, He's a nice guy and its not really a big hassel..

ya never know... You may be flaming a guy for doing you a favor.

r

AtomicBlaze

Silver Supporting Member
kind of my thoughts too.. like, was the statement, "NO I do not want any binding peroid." or was it more ambiguous, "Nah, I don't need anything like that it's a little too pricey."

the reason, Often when working on a really nice guitar, i'll do something extra just for the heck of it.... thus if he felt you were electing not, for any number of reasons, perhaps he thought, I'll just throw it in for the heck of it, He's a nice guy and its not really a big hassel..

ya never know... You may be flaming a guy for doing you a favor.

r
That is why I feel guilty, I think he added the binding to be nice or something, maybe he thought he was doing me a favor.

Trending Topics