• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Luthiers ...anyone know how this is done?

martins3325

Im kinda curious how these head cabs were made ...these two MP headboxes seem to be bent wood on the corners..one thick plywood..the other solid wood..VERY cool!! ...I didnt know there was a technique to bend wood so thick ...any idea how this is done??? Thought id ask in the luthiers since they would probably have the best insight.

DamianP

The ply one is most likely laminated from several thinner pieces.
When I worked at British Aerospace we used to make lots of curved ply forms which were made in such a way. We would glue the sheets together then force them around a form using a large vacuum press.

The solid one could be done in a similar way but using a steam box to "soften" the wood before bending.
It`s possible however, that only the edge is bent in that way. The horizontal line above the transformer suggests that maybe that is the case.

Damian.

DamianP

I looked again at the red one.

There appears to be a mitre at each corner which suggests that the top and sides aren`t one piece.

Damian.

Pfeister

The individual layers of the top one would probably be bent one at a time. That's how case makers often do it, the real nice ones at least.

You can do it with solid wood if you have the right equipment. There's a method of making wood pliable that works on thick wood like that. You have to basically make an ammonia pressure cooker (I wouldn't recommend it unless you're an engineer... or like chemical explosions).

It'd be much easier to use three boards then route the corners to make a radius. If you paint it or coat it with anything opaque, it'd look great. It's not the same thing as bending, but if you just want the rounded corners it'd certainly work.

Last edited:

martins3325

Interesting...in any event seems like a pretty difficult way to make a headcab. Some hate it some love it..I really like it

dick wiewy

I've often wondered about Bjorn's bent cabs too. These are definitely labor intensive and
they look cool as can be. Sadly, I've never played through one. I've only seen pictures.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom