Luthiers - What does "Private Stock" mean?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ridgeback, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

When referring to a build as private stock (e.g. no build sheet), what does that mean to you? Built for your own use? Experimenting with a unique combination of specs? Something else? I've heard the term used before, just curious whether there is a common frame of reference for the term among professional or semi-pro builders.

2. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

The term usually refers to the builder's hand picked pieces of pretty wood. At least that's what I think of.

stratter likes this.
  3. Whitecat

Whitecat Member

I think Paul Reed Smith has that term trademarked...

jrjones, Silver Hand and SPROING! like this.
  4. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

Basically beautiful wood set aside by the building for special instruments. A PRS private stock model will drop your jaw. I'd be hesitant to play one. I could see myself falling into a trance onstage just staring at it.

5. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

My private stock was set aside for clients with tall stacks of long green.

shane8, Cal Webway, McShred and 10 others like this.
  6. stratter

stratter Member

I think it's just a marketing excuse to charge $8000 more for a nicely figured top.

Isn't that what PRS calls their custom shop too?

7. rummy

rummy Member

8. icr

icr Member

Probably means something in the guitar you can't detect without someone telling you it is there (assuming it is anything in the first place.)

M40A1 likes this.
  9. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

10. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I think it's more a marketing term.

mxk116 and DrumBob like this.
  11. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

They say stuff like that to impress the women. "how bout' checking out my private stock, darling". squeal "oh, ok Paul...whatever you say....."

derekd likes this.
  12. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

Maybe some context would help here. I found a guitar at a local shop that was the first T style guitar that ever impressed me and made me realize what all the hoopla was over telecasters. The ones I had played over the years before left me unimpressed. It was built by a local luthier and was not priced at a premium over ordering the same model over his web site. After lusting over it and playing it almost every week for about a year, I finally had the funds to buy it. It is an alder\rosewood patterned after an early\mid 60's. I have now had it for just over a year and it has impressed me enough to special order an ash\maple Broadcaster version. When I got the build sheet for my new one, I asked him if he had the build sheet for my original on file and he said there was no build sheet because it was a private stock build and he described the equivalent build sheet details. I was just wondering what that meant in the wider (non-big shop like PRS) luthier community. It was obviously not an attempt to jack up the price of the guitar.

I appreciate the responses to date.

mightymole likes this.
  13. Corinthian

Corinthian Member

Sounds like it means he built it for himself.

You could just ask him though given you're in communication with him...

14. ultradust

ultradust Member

Whether it's become a proper noun or not ;) at the Moollon shop it's silly in-house nomenclature we occasionally use that won't actually mean much to the average consumer, rather being pre-built (as opposed to "to-order") pieces set aside for one of the few artists we already support, always with especially superior quality woods. Since all of our hardware on all models is 100% custom designed and tested to be identical to pre-CBS-era Fender specifications, the selection of wood and matching of necks/bodies among our stock is the only thing that's actually the "reserve" part of the equation.

Since we do no more than 60 - 70 total instruments per year, so-called "private reserve" usually means no more than 3/year, but they're often on display for visitors to the shop for promotional purposes (sometimes for months at a time prior to shipping them out), to see what they are and who they are intended for. So in a number of ways they are kinda private and very much reserved.

15. PGrant

PGrant Member

Marketing mumbo-jumbo.

16. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Agreed. It puts a premium on nice wood by creating the illusion that the wood is extra special. One of the major drum companies did that years ago by marketing a line of drums that were made out of very old wood recovered from the bottom of a lake. Were they any better than their usual drums? I have no idea, as I never played them, but it was en effective marketing tool, as the drums sold out in record time.

17. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

I did, so I know what it means to this particular builder. My question related more to whether it meant generally the same thing to smaller builders across the industry or if it was just a catch all term. Just idle curiosity as I know there are builders that post here regularly. A few interesting responses so far.

Just saw the first pictures of my pseudo Broadcaster build. My first custom order. Pretty exciting process.

18. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

in my experience, the prettiest guitars don't always sound the best

(especially if i'm playing them :( )

Cal Webway likes this.
  19. sleewell

sleewell Member

its a term used to jack up the price

20. Torren61

Torren61 Member

I detect a lot of private stock envy, lol.