Luthiers: what's on your workbench?

Scott Naylor

Silver Supporting Member
Laurent, the geometric accents you've incorporated are mesmerizing - how the neck binding leads your eye to the graceful curve on the headstock and that shape, in turn, inspires starting over at the lower bout. Reminds me of the visual pathways used by great painters. On a lighter note, does the snakewood hint there's a full Daktari treatment inside the box? :beer

sargebaker

ISLAND Instruments
Platinum Supporting Member
Here's a pretty special build I just completed. Vintage Gibson probably isn't the first thing that comes to mind when seeing it, but the template is a 40s L-00... but with a cutaway... and headless...and an adjustable heel-less neck, Ronin Foilbucker Mini in the neck and K&K soundboard transducer, The back, sides, and fingerboard are Wenge, top is Sitka Spruce and the neck is Mahogany. This was a pretty challenging build that really tested my limits!

scott

Silver Supporting Member
Here's a pretty special build I just completed. Vintage Gibson probably isn't the first thing that comes to mind when seeing it, but the template is a 40s L-00... but with a cutaway... and headless...and an adjustable heel-less neck, Ronin Foilbucker Mini in the neck and K&K soundboard transducer, The back, sides, and fingerboard are Wenge, top is Sitka Spruce and the neck is Mahogany. This was a pretty challenging build that really tested my limits!

Love this one. Very cool

JWes65

Doon the watter
Whenever I start to lose faith in the human race or the negative side is getting to me, I just read this thread and look at all the beautiful guitar builds. Then I feel much better.

Thanks for posting your builds guys.

Last edited:

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
Here is one I built for a customer based on a previous build I did. This is after it had been played for a while and was in for a tune-up. It’s maple over chambered black walnut 24.7” scale with a plum nitro burst finish. I am not anywhere near the skill level of some of you guys and this nickel silver “victory” inlay was my first attempt at something like this. Funny story, I screwed up the original shell inlay I had planned and this was my last ebony board that I had on hand. I came up with the design as an attempt to cover up my mistake and originally I was going to have a local guy do the inlay for me but then I got the courage up to try it myself. Fixing your own mistakes is part of learning right? Everything was made from scratch of course and the customer basically came to me with a pile of wood that he liked and said "make me a guitar". I do one of these full custom builds a year currently. Hoping to do another this year with some Honduran mahogany and spalted ash I have been hoarding. I have a plan but I just need to find the time. I envy you guys who can do this full time. One day I hope to get back to that and not have to do my day job just to support my guitar building/repair habit. :)

Last edited:

lucky111

Double Platinum Member

Would LOVE to hear this one both acoustic & plugged in - any chance of a video sample?

sargebaker

ISLAND Instruments
Would LOVE to hear this one both acoustic & plugged in - any chance of a video sample?
If you're on Instagram, you can follow @ryverb (or myself) - He's posted a couple snippets in his stories so far, and hopefully we can arrange a shoot with some decent gear sometime soon :) If it's not breaking any forum rules, I'll post it here.

Dave Weir

Gold Supporting Member
If you're on Instagram, you can follow @ryverb (or myself) - He's posted a couple snippets in his stories so far, and hopefully we can arrange a shoot with some decent gear sometime soon :) If it's not breaking any forum rules, I'll post it here.
Just have him sitting on your workbench.
did you decide on a name?

sargebaker

ISLAND Instruments
Just have him sitting on your workbench.
did you decide on a name?
He's in Portland, so we'll have to wait till borders open again!

I have not found a name yet. Hit me up if you have any ace suggestions, people! (by DM if so inclined, so as to not clog up this thread).

Ben Liggett

Lately I’ve been obsessed with “suprematism”, this Russian abstract art movement from the early 1900s. It just translates really well to inlay work, and I would do some minimal stuff on the headstock before, but now I’ve incorporated it into sound ports on my guitars. The holes are bordered with brass. Hope y’all dig it!

Dave Weir

Gold Supporting Member
I dig it! The inlay looks great. But a little fragile. I guess that’s kind of the point
[
Lately I’ve been obsessed with “suprematism”, this Russian abstract art movement from the early 1900s. It just translates really well to inlay work, and I would do some minimal stuff on the headstock before, but now I’ve incorporated it into sound ports on my guitars. The holes are bordered with brass. Hope y’all dig it!

journo

Wonderful!
I like it best on the black.

Cheers,

Mats N

Trending Topics