Luthiers & woodworkers- calipers?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by tea312, Jul 27, 2006.

1. tea312

tea312 Member

Any suggestions to a good quality & dependable caliper- either digital or dialed??? Any luthier's, woodworkers or hobbyist out there who had good & bad experiences with them- please chime in! Thank you.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Generic imported digital calipers. I've been using some old Craftsman dial calipers for years. I cut a little notch in one jaw with my Dremel and a thin cutting disc that allows me to measure fretwire crown height (the notch is for the tang).

3. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

You certainly don't need a top of the line Starrett for luthiery. Wood moves more than the difference in accuracy between a decent one and a top dollar one. Digital is the way to go, but a dial caliper is good too.

4. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

Brown & Sharpe with a black face dial has been my best friend for many years. I never was a fan of the Starrett on account of the shape of the jaw tips...too blunt, you can't get into anything.
    I do not recommend digital calipers of any type in a woodworking environment, they won't last a week with all the dust.

Ron

5. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

6. DamianP

DamianP Member

I`ve used my Mitutoyo digital calipers for considerably longer than a week. No problems at all.

,Damian.

7. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

I bought these at an Aldi store in Germany for 15 euro (one time limited offer type of thing). It's got a bigger screen than the one I bought in the US. And then I modded it for fret-work, and it's got one important mod that even the Stew-Mac ones don't have : the end of the jaws are ground thinner so I can measure the tangs on the frets (without the tang beads getting in the way)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/551976565/2136119240061584286EkPOaT

Also modded it for checking height of installed frets (like the Stew-Mac ones have) :

http://community.webshots.com/photo/551976565/2806868800061584286ioKNww

Well, when I find a tool useful, I tend to buy an excessive amount :

http://community.webshots.com/photo/551971326/2809656230061584286hKXLow

The plastic dial ones (swiss made)were the first I bought many years ago, and were way more expensive ($29) than any of the digital ones I've bought since, and even thought the digital ones are every bit as Chinese as a pointed hat in a rice field, they work great (so far)

8. tea312

tea312 Member

I appreciate all of the response & your time!! Arnold

9. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

Mitutoyo Absolute Digimatic. We use em at Taylor by the bucketload. Resists ebony dust produced by sanding fretboards, super glue, water, sweat, dropping, you name it. Practically bullet proof, I wouldn't be suprised of some of the guys use them for pulling nails. My personal pair has been going strong for 4 years. We have a pair at Lentz thats been going for 5 years or so. Most important tool in the shop I don't work a day without grabbing it at least a dozen times.

$80 at Enco or Airgas.

[​IMG]

10. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

Those look handy. If you've had a chance to use them a lot, what is your impression of their overall build quality?

Anyone know what company makes them for stew mac?

11. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Member

12. patpark

patpark Member

grizzly industrial has some good ones for cheap. i just picked up a digital on w/ a large display for $19

13. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I use decimal dial and recently bought a fractional dial indicator - sweet.

14. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I use my Stew Mac digital caliper all the time, one of the handiest guitar tools I own. Very handy to be able to check fret height. I have had no problems with durability or quality issues.