1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Luxe Caps?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dspblues, Jan 22, 2008.

1. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

Hi All,
    What's the deal with these caps? They seem to be high-end bumble bee reproduction caps. Anyone using them? What values? I see RSGuitar works is selling them now. All hype or worth the $$?

2. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I'm interested too!

3. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

They are a repackaged Russian paper and oil cap. They look cool and sound good. As to whether they are worth the fare, only you can decide that.

4. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I'm talking to him right now about recapping my 55 Tremolux. I'll let you know how it goes.

5. BrownDog

BrownDog Member

RS just completed aging my Beano burst - while it was there over the holidays for the aging, I had them put a set of Luxe bees (and NOS nylon nut, very cool too) - with the CTS pots and WCR pickups (Crossroads neck; Darkburst bridge), they have a nice, clear/clean vowel tone.

For myself alone and with tone and oneness, Mike

6. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Acme's been selling those Luxe caps for a while now

7. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

Keep in mind that you can get mil surplus Russian paper and oil caps for a fraction of the price elsewhere (the Bay for one). So you're paying a premium for them to pot the cap to make it look like a 'Bumblebee' which has no bearing on the sound. Also, RS sells new Jensen paper & oil caps for a reasonable amount. So you have to ask if it's worth the scratch to get a repackaged Soviet era cap at a boutique price just so that it looks like a vintage cap... Personally, not knowing where the mil surplus parts came from I'd question their reliability, after all, caps can be affected by storage conditions (dry out, etc.).

8. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

Have you played any? Do you know if they sound any different than the Jensens?

9. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

Vitamin Q's are hermetically enclosed so theoretically they shouldn't be effected by storage just like tubes.

but i do agree with everything else you say. They're basically old looking caps where if you don't care about the looks you can save a lot to get the same thing by buying elsewhere.

10. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

hi warren,
    no i haven't compared the soviet mil surplus caps to the jensens. hard to imagine there's a lot of difference though if the caps have the same values.

hi geoffrey,
    well yes, caps are hermetically sealed, but that doesn't mean the seal is impermeable, especially over time. anyway, don't mean to argue, to each their own! :) and yes, the thing that irks me about this is people selling 'bumblebee caps' that are just an equivalent cap that's been dressed up. and of course even gibson is in on it so there's probably no end in sight, but they really should be called 'bumblebee styled' caps!