Luxury Drive anyone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Buddy Boy, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Buddy Boy

Buddy Boy Member

How about it? Anyone? How does it sound? Not a lot of info on here.

2. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Good sounding pedal that adds some sparkle to your tone along with the boost. I leave it on most of the time at a very low setting to bring up the level of my single coils. I like it a lot.

John

3. HBob

HBob Member

I have the model T version that has a level and a trim control. It does add some sparkle which is nice. When you turn up the trim it starts to add some bass which makes it sound very Blackface to me. Cool stuff.

4. funkycam

funkycam Member

Great pedal, great builder. Ton of character in that box & as I understand it an original circuit design to boot.
    Get one for sure!

Due to different component selections, each one is a little different apparently.
    With mine (single knob), 7 o'clock is a good bit louder than bypassed & some really nice sparkle & body is added. Once you get past 1 oclock it gets fuzzy, fat & very loud, really nice for thick leads into an amp on the verge of breakup, or a dirt pedal:
    The track "butterflies fade solo" on my myspace is the luxury drive hitting a fulltone OCD really hard.
    this is a luxury drive into a monte allums modded sd-1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU3elE_xb2k&feature=related

• I have also used it as a solo boost for an acoustic live.
    • It does nice things in front of a ts-9 pedal
    • On a session I got a crazy isley brothers fuzz by using it to boost the hell out of a tweakfuzz straight into the board.
    I owned a fatboost before I got my luxury drive & thought the fatboost had way less character.

I also own a lizard leg flying dragon which is another 1 knob clean boost I would highly recommend. Very cool pedal & builder as well but a very different deal. The dragon is really flat eq wise & much less compressed. at max settings it's not much different tonally than @ 12 o'clock.

I plan to keep both the luxury drive & the flying dragon

Are the luxury drives availible right now? Last I heard Tim was working for a big amp manufacturer (Peavey?) and not taking new orders.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  5. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Have a "Model T" as well. Really works nicely with an amp on the edge of breakup. Too bright for me with a Fender based amp, but great for a Marshall or pushing a warm OD pedal.

6. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

One of the nicer clean boosts and a steal considering what you could pay for one that isn't really better...just different. TC is a great guy and he IS still building pedals.

One thing about the LD...it always has a boost going on. It doesn't do unity gain or slightly above; its always got a pretty good boost going.

7. Buddy Boy

Buddy Boy Member

Thanks guys for the info. I'm not sure it's the pedal for me if it won't do unity gain or close to it. I also play Fender's most of the time. It does sound like the LD might work with my Naylor's tho...hmmm...and I do use TS's and am looking for the right fat/bloom pedal to go in front of them. Blues Devil?

8. Buddy Boy

Buddy Boy Member

I wonder if swapping chips or the pot would tame the immediate boost?

9. funkycam

funkycam Member

I don't think it has any chips.
    I think (& this might be waaay off base) that it is germanium transistor based. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Pretty sure Tim could make one that was unity gain. I thought about asking him before, but I like the sound of mine so much I didn't want to mess with it!

10. Ricman

Ricman Member

location, location - it's the most important thing
    I leave mine on all the time = boost problem solved. I play a Ric 360 with it and it adds a wonderful sparkle.
    I also had Tim build this for me, love it (has the luxury drive built in, but I also have the stand-alone):

[​IMG]

Tim's pedals don't get the coverage they deserve around here. They can hold their own against any of the pedals out there.

11. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

yep - tim's got a heck of an ear. He's head of peavey's custom amp division now. I'm not sure if he's still building or not, last time I talked to him he was still catching up with orders from a while back.
    bw

12. Ricman

Ricman Member

location, location - it's the most important thing
    Tim is still building and taking orders. The Gristle King I posted was just done this past June.

13. ToneSter

ToneSter Silver Supporting Member

30 miles s/w to the exact center of California
    Might just be smart to get the Luxury Drive and the Luxury Drive Model T that way you can also have a boost......hehe.......cause after you play through a Model T you will not want to turn it off.

he is a great guy and a great builder.

14. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

i'm a big fan of tims pedals...check out an Atomic Fet-Boy if you get the chance...its similar to the Luxury Drive (i've got two of those...one stand alone, one on my Gristle King)...but it doesn't add the slight treble boost that the Luxury Drive has...in fact it has a tone control that rolls off high frequencies...if you've got too much jangle goin on....(i play fenders through el-84 amps so i do get too much sparkle and chime sometimes)..it'll tame that high end for you...especially helpful when you're stacking od's and boost pedals....

15. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Might have to check out Fet-Boy!

I did try the LDMT into a FatBoost (original version). The combo made a pretty brutal OD.