• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Lynyrd Skynyrd 8/24/77 Selland Arena

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
Allen playing a double cutaway Junior. Cool!
I noticed that, too! I thought he only played that during the RCB days, but obviously not.

Seeing this video is just further proof of just how much of a powerhouse and well-oiled machine that band was in concert. Steve Gaines definitely gave them the kick in the ass that they needed after Ed left and Gary and Allen seemed to want to wreck everything they drove.

Damn, that plane crash...

louderock

I noticed that, too! I thought he only played that during the RCB days, but obviously not.

Seeing this video is just further proof of just how much of a powerhouse and well-oiled machine that band was in concert. Steve Gaines definitely gave them the kick in the ass that they needed after Ed left and Gary and Allen seemed to want to wreck everything they drove.

Damn, that plane crash...
Steve’s LP had a coil tap on the pickup. That slide in T for TX sounds very Strat like.

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
There's such a difference to me, between the show with Steve Gaines and the one I posted from Winterland.
Steve just took them to a whole other level.
That Winterland show was one of Ed King's last with the band, exactly 1 month prior to his exit, and I know he was getting tired of things, so that's probably showing up in his performance.
Artimus had just joined on drums and he brought a new fire to the band, but the rest of the band was either worn from the tour schedule or wasted on drink and drugs and it's a wonder that they sound as good as they do.

Last edited:

hobbes1

That Winterland show was one of Ed King's last with the band, exactly 1 month prior to his exit, and I know he was getting tired of things, so that's probably showing up in his performance.
Atriums had just joined on drums and he brought a new fire to the band, but the rest of the band was either worn from the tour schedule or wasted on drink and drugs and it's a wonder that they sound as good as they do.
Yeah, i agree. They sound good but not much fire. Plus, i started to notice RVZ's tongue darting out between every vocal line. It was weird and became off putting lol.

kinmike

Gold Supporting Member
Saw them around the same time at Hawthorne Race Track west of Chicago. My first real concert....

Uncle Bob

IMO Billy Powell was player that made that band work. Too bad the songwriting suffered so much for the post-crash band.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom