Lynyrd Skynyrd lead tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Broadie, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Broadie

Broadie Member

I play a Gibson Sg Standard through a Marshall 100 watt super lead and i have the lynyrd skynyrd rythem tone nailed perfectly I am having trouble getting a good lead tone out of it though. The tone i am looking for is the lead tone at the end of free bird in the solo. That is in my opinoin the best lead tone i have ever heard and my favorite solo ever. Does any one know what they used to get that tone like boost pedals or anything else. Thanks so much for the help it is much appreciated.

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Like the song says, "Turn it up!". ;) Simple.
    Otherwise, perhaps try something like a Rangemaster clone.

3. Broadie

Broadie Member

yeah but you can't just in the middle of a song walk over and turn your amp up solo then turn it back down when your done there has to be some way to get that kind of boost

4. Broadie

Broadie Member

Does anyone accualy know for sure what pedals the boys form Lynyrd Skynyrd used

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I dont know which pedals they actually used but I guess you could try a ZVex super hard on, or super duper 2 in 1...or the /13 lift, I heard its a good boost.I love lynyrd skynrd.

6. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Id fork out for an attenuator and use my guitars volume knob just like all the greats.
    Its really the most authentic way of getting there.
    I just love those bigger shows where I get to crank mine.:dude

7. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

I get some pretty wicked skynyrd tones with a time machine boost

8. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Broadie, the "Freebird" solo was played entirely by Allen Collins, who did not use an SG. Most likely, he played it on either a Firebird or an Explorer.

9. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

Broadie,

As far as I know, the only pedals used in the early days were a Wah used by Collins and a MXR Script phaser (45 I believe) used by Rossington. They actually play alot cleaner than most think. I'm not sure if any others were used.

10. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

yea, with 3 guys on stage playing guitar, they really did have the option of turning around and cranking their amps up... Now, if you want to do this with less guitarists, and you don't want to add alot of color, you need some sort of boost or Mid/low gain OD to crank it...

Any of these might work:

Legendary Tones Time Machine Boost
    Gaspedals CARB
    Rangemaster clone: Lenahan, BadBob, Phoenix Ranger, Keeley Java boost, HBE Germanium, etc............
    Keeley Katana Boost
    Barber LTD or DD or SSDD or Small Fry or Launch Pad

There are others that might work. The rangemasters will be trebley with looser bottom ends. The OD's will be thicker, with tighter bottom ends. I've never played a straight boost, so I can't really help there.

Now, as for guitars.... The Les has always been Gary Rossington's main guitar... I've also seen him play an SG. Allen Collins played thru an explorer, a firebird, and a TV special.

11. covert

covert Member

I seem to recall that the Peavey Mace was a standard amp for those boys.

12. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Zvex Super Duper 2 in 1

13. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Crank your tube amp up until it does that lead tone (as loud as you need it), then roll your guitar's volume knob back for rhythm.

Also, J. Everman makes this thing called The Pot: http://www.jeverman.com/thepot.html

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

PhilM is right.

You set the lead tone first then turn down with the guitar volume knob for everything else, what could be simpler? Whack the volume up for the leads.

Their tones are very similar to British Blues tones from the sixties - no pedals required, needed.
    Hey Wayne! Jan did it that way too...........remember Focus III or was it IV?

Best, Pete.

15. CADdrafter

CADdrafter Senior Member

yep, modded Peavey Mace amps were used.

16. drmathprog

drmathprog Member

I always assumed he was playing a Tele through a SF Fender of some sort. That's what it sounded like to me.

17. JDW3

JDW3 Member

You have to consider that they were using, Peaveys, Fender Deluxe Reverbs and Marshalls. Each guitarist having a different tone. That Smell, for instance.

One guitar real midrangy, like a Peavey. One very clean, like a Fender. Who knows what else going on in the studio. All I know is each guitar is very different. Rossington usually having the fat Gibson/Marshall snarl. Isn't it true that on tour they had Fenders and Marshalls behind the Peavey Maces?

I don't think one pedal could do all these tones.

Sweet Home's solo sounds like Strat into Fender DR to me.

18. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I wasn't disregarding your post MZA. It's just stuck in my head as a Fender. Next time I hear it I'll envision a Marshall. 8)

It's just hard to imagine a Super Lead sounding that good, that clean.

19. drmathprog

drmathprog Member

What kind of guy was Ed King? He had an interesting musical journey. He's obviously known as a mainstay of Skynyrd, but I discovered a few years back that he was a member and songwriter for Strawberry Alarm Clock, which seems about as different from Skynyrd as I can imagine.

20. drmathprog

drmathprog Member

So he plays the second solo also? I always figured that was Collins; it seems to sound more like his stuff. Not that it matters; we play tat song at every gig, and I still can't hit those hammered 16th notes on the second solo. I've pretty much given up these days and substitute triplets.