Lyre Tremolo problems... Gibson SG

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SW33THAND5, Feb 15, 2015.

1. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

Okay heres the dealio... I am about to remove the Lyre (leave the lovely looking tailpiece) and install a claw type tailpiece. (Ala Gibson 1275)

I really dont have a problem staying in tune. Its dialed in and quite stable, but the breaking angle is almost no angle at all. So when I play hard and bend above the 12th i have problems with the high E snapping out of its bridge piece or just sounding "plinky."

I am a player who actually will use a trem so I hate to see it go... But i also have a nice Les Paul so I can live without a Trem. I have Strat...but I would like to solve the problem without just converting to a hardtail.

Fixes? Suggestions? Something I have not considered? I am keeping the guitar whether I mod it or not. It plays and sounds fantastic.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

3. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Which bridge do you have?

4. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

5. 27sauce

I'd go with taller saddles. I know some folks have bent the base of the modern vibrolas, that may give you a little more leverage.

6. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

I figure that I could remove the front part of the trem (ala Derek Trucks) and install a claw type tailpiece like the one on the 6 string side of a gibby 1275 (seen here) --> http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...elder-Hotel-California-EDS-1275/Features.aspx

that would be the lowest profile fixed bridge fix in my estimation. ( I have not seen one converted this way.

what I would really like to know is if there is a kit or mod that could just improve the existing trem (or any other solution that I have not considered) as-is.

once again... the guitar plays and sounds amazing so either way, I am keeping it. it just seems like a shame to alter such a beautiful guitar

7. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

wouldn't taller saddles change the action? (the action is perfect) the break angle on the neck will only accept so much difference to raising the saddles right? (or am I missing something?)

8. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

maybe bending the base (which is basically the spring) will be worth an easy try. is there not an aftermarket fix for lyres?

9. 27sauce

if you have taller saddles, you can cut the groove a little deeper. the action will be the same, but the walls will be slightly higher. Enough for the E to not pop out. There may be enough on the bridge you have now, but they are pretty low profile. I'm talking just very slightly deeper.

10. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

I see

11. Sloop John B

Sloop John B Supporting Member

I went/am going through the same thing with my new SG/Les Paul Custom that I bought at the end of December. The spring wasn't bent enough, so there was no discernible break angle over the strings.

On a visit to Guitar Center in Times Square, I noticed that of the several brand new SGs and Firebirds with Maestro Vibrolas they had in stock, some were bent like mine (poorly/wrong), and some were bent like they're supposed to be. This meant that these guitars could have low action and improved vibrato performance, which mine couldn't.

Here's a photo I made to display this:

[​IMG]

Since I bought my guitar new, I immediately brought it to Peekamoose Guitars (authorized Gibson warranty shop), and it is currently there waiting for the new, properly-bent Maestro spring to arrive from Gibson (I'm at week 7 of the quoted 6-8).

12. 27sauce

See^^^the Abr-1 alone allows for more break. I wish the tweedy came out ten years ago, when USA SG's came stock with Abr's.

13. louis

louis Supporting Member