Lyrics on iPad

etr102

Hey All

What is the best app to use to display lyrics on an iPad?

I've never looked into this type of thing but some of the features that I'm be looking for is the ability to make playlists (ie swiping to the next song rather than having to search for it), auto-scrolling would probably be nice to have. Displaying chords would be a bonus but lyrics are really what I need.

kiki_90291

I use ForScore and have been very happy with it. I just load pdfs of my songs with the chords written in over the lyrics, but I think you can do more sophisticated things with it.

Rewolf

OnSong will do this easily. Lyrics with auto scroll based on expected duration of the song with chords over the lyrics. Instant key change, remote control via midi or Bluetooth pedals.

Jerry

Gold Supporting Member
I use the Pages app on the ipad to make the lyric sheet and export it to iKlip Stage as a pdf. I often redo the sheet for a song, deleting most of the lyrics
except for the first part of the line and maybe one key word later in the line.

Losov

If it's only for lyrics, the best I've seen is called Setlists. It's a free download to try, but the trial limits the number of songs you can store. Paid version when I got it was less than $20. It is compatible with Bluetooth page turning pedals.

edward

Silver Supporting Member
I have used UnrealBook on my iPad for coming on 10 years now. It works perfectly, loads easily, low overhead, and works seamlessly with my BT page turning pedal. And you can set up scroll yourself if that’s your preference. Moreover it talks with apple’s Pages perfectly. Aaron Nelson is the developer and gets back to you right away if you have qs or issues. I can’t recommend Unrealbook highly enough!

Edward

Steved65

I've been using OnSong. It lets you view in a couple of different formats or use your own PDFs or pictures even. I make Word files and save them as PDFs and transfer them to OnSong. That lets me control exactly what I see and where any breaks are. I also use a blue tooth footswitch to scroll thru it.

sws1

I thought I read somewhere that OnSong was not going to be working with the new iPad OS update.

roverdog

I had something called “allmysongs” but no longer works on my iPad. Back to the old way, writing out set lists! And forced me to totally learn the lyrics!

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve used OnSong for many years. My iPad 2 is about to croak so I’m thinking about using my iPhone + hdmi cable + TV on the floor in front of me.

Do ANY of these have the capability to display a mirrored image? I just got a teleprompter and this would be a genius thing for streaming performances, but it requires the mirrored image.

Best...H

edward

Silver Supporting Member
Forgive me if this belabors the obvious, but here's what has worked for me live, and this on an old ipad for maaaany years.
1. iPad using UnrealBook (as I referenced above at post #11)
2. BT page turning footpedal. The airturn is the smallest, most discrete (footprint is important for me as I have a pedalboard), and mine is these maaaany years old and seen lots of use.
3. small "music stand" thingie that clamps onto my mic stand (yeah, Amazon, choose your fave as there are a bazillion)

That's it. Simple to setup, use, tear down. Keep in mind I not a pro player doing large gigs, but my modest setup has never failed me anywhere I've been thus far and, to me, simple is always good since there is always so much to factor in already when gigging.

Edward

Stringmaster

Platinum Supporting Member
I like OnSong. Pretty easy to use (if you stick with the basics), and they have lots of video tutorials. I especially like the Console add-on, that allows you to work on your computer vs the iPad. I typically find my lyrics online, and then simply cut and paste them into OnSong. Don’t know if the other programs allow you to do this.

Trending Topics