• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

LZ vs VH

jpftribe

Two of my all time favorite bands that have stood the test of time.

One decided to hang it up, with some nostalgic appearances, the other morphed into a furious debate.

Jimmy really hasn't released anything remotely new in years, Eddie is criticized for re-releasing re hashed demos.

Discuss.........

stevel

For some reason I consider LZ "rock legends" but not VH. It may be due to my age. For example, when I see cars from the 70s with Antique plates it kind of irks me. 60s, OK. 80s, no way. I grew up on VH, but LZ were already securely entrenched in rock iconography by the time I started listening to them.

Steve

AllmanFan

Silver Supporting Member
Gotta get your led out. I was never a big VH fan. I def. appreciate the music just a little too much over indulgence in the 80s thing for me.

carbz

Silver Supporting Member
Close call for me. Zep was a much tighter band and offered a little more variety in their songwriting. Guitar tone goes to EVH by a landslide. Vocally I'll take Roth over Plant. Both had great compositions early on. I prefer VH in the studio but probably Zep wins live. They are basically a decade apart from inception and obviously that accounts for something.

freedom's door

Studio albums, it's close, but Zep wins due to more variety.
Live, i would take Zep at their worst over VH at their best any time. Listening to Roth spout his stories/BS gets old after 5 minutes...

geetarboy

I love Zep, but I started playing guitar because of Eddie and VH was the soundtrack to my youth from sixth grade through college. I still get chills from the opening to Mean Street.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
Well, I have to say Zeppelin was certainly talented because the music was so well written and the span of styles were astounding. This was some quality music baby! Page was kind of all over the place on electric guitars .... sometimes good, sometimes sloppy, but he acoustic skills really shined.. Plant's vocals could be annoying after a while, but he fit the band well. Killer rhythm section.

Van Halen ... well, what can you say .... Eddie had tone tone tone!!! We're talking tone that the music world hadn't heard before, and he single handedly changed the face of guitar music in the 80s. Eddie is way more articulate than Page, his timing is unmatched but his style is more or less one dimensional, especially during the Sammy years. The band had great backing vocals .... and really that was a big part of that tasty and exciting overall sound! :)

Both were great bands, but in totally different ways.

fenderlead

Vocally I'll take Roth over Plant.
Did I read that right?

VH grew up on LZ and were influenced by LZ.

Someone could say that Ed has been playing variations on the end of the Stairway solo since his teens.

Ed's also more Fusion though.

DLR is more Al Jolson.

LZ has greater variety in their songs.

LZ has lot of Folk and Early Blues whereas VH is a Fusion/LZ Rock//Al Jolson mix which is quite weird when it's thought about.

SteveO

I can't really compare the two, as they are completely different bands with completely different approaches. Kind of like The Beatles and the Jimi Hendrix Experience a decade before them.

1967SG

Close call for me. Zep was a much tighter band and offered a little more variety in their songwriting. Guitar tone goes to EVH by a landslide. Vocally I'll take Roth over Plant. Both had great compositions early on. I prefer VH in the studio but probably Zep wins live. They are basically a decade apart from inception and obviously that accounts for something.
When you isolated Roth's vocal track a while back, I thought you were doing it to show how crappy he sings.

Call me a doctor!!!!
:p

blownirocz

Suppoutin' Memba Sinss Dem Oud Dayz...
Gold Supporting Member
Let's face it...Van Halen was really just Eddie. Granted, he revolutionized rock guitar (again), so much respect for that.

But in terms of band talent, songs, songwriting ability, overall impact to the musical world (and definitely to me personally), it's not much of a contest -- IMHO, of course.

Trending Topics