M-Audio Audio Interface Newb Question

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Moe45673, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The instrument input are listed as "line in"s. Does this mean I can't plug my guitar straight into them?

Not a big deal, as I can use the "recording out" jack on my Roland Cube 60, but wondering the way to get the best sound out of it

The M-Audio Firewire solo is about the same price. Is this highly recommended over the FastTrack Pro? I am mainly just playing to put down ideas, to make my youtube videos sound good (have to do post-production audio/video synching), and maybe even make a rough demo in the future. Basically, all I'm trying to do is get my guitar to sound decent on my PC, like this girl http://www.youtube.com/user/lowa91#p/u/5/2sCipvgxLkA and all she's using is a Line 6 UX1. The difference, however, is I plan on using splitscreen video of me playing multiple parts (ie, overdubbing and using a DAW)

I'm going for the FastTrack because I don't have firewire inputs on my PC, but I can easily drop 20 bucks on a Firewire PCI card so not a huge deal

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  2. pulverizer

pulverizer Member

Ya you can get away with using that input........idealy you would want a DI box then into the xlr inputs or balanced input.

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Hey, thanks for the response. After doing quite a bit more research (and after my ex-boss calling me telling me that I have my job back, hence a nice income flow.... stupid economy), I bought a firewire400 PCI card for my PC (3 slots) and am going to get the M-Audio Firewire Solo.

Unless anybody has any suggestions on similar priced/functionality/quality/plays nice with Cubase interface :)

4. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

If it's an "instrument input", you can go direct in. If it's "Line input", you can't (or at least not without serious signal loss due to impedance mismatch).

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I was wondering if I could use the "line out" of my Roland Cube 60 to go right in there. Now I'm thinking I could and it sounds obvious, but one should never be too confident