M-Audio BX8A - Great deal

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by dankayaker, Mar 10, 2006.

1. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Just thought I'd pass this along if anyone is looking for these monitors.
    avalive.com is selling them for $329 as opposed to $499 like everyone else.

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

They're a good monitor for the money, and even if you have higher end ones, they're a good secondary reference.

What I liked about them is kind of like what the old NS-10s did; they weren't fabulously accurate, but mixes translate well to other systems.

3. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

They overemphasize the bass; ie, mixes done with the BX8s where the bass sounds 'just right' lack low end on other systems; once I learned to adjust for that , however, like Les said the rest of the mix sounded good on home stereos, boom box, car, even an Ipod.

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Gerry, I think this depends on the room. I didn't have this problem with them. I did have the overemphasis problem with my Genelec 1031As, so go figure!

5. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

Your're right, now that I notice it. My DAW is a hobby, in a living room with a parquet floor (with a rug) and a bay window, and the upright piano in the room (when my kids play it) is LOUD and much more low -end than 'usual' uprights.

6. FastRedPonyCar

FastRedPonyCar Member

I know I'm late to this thread but as another BX8a owner, I'll chime in and echo the comments in this thread and in chefman's other thread about these. I experienced the same "break in" period. The guy at guitar center (who helps run a local studio) told me they would sound terrible the first few days but to just let them play music all day while I was at work to get them broken in and sure enough, they started to really open up and sound better after a couple of days.

They're nowhere near the same league as the Adams and Genelecs but after talking to the guy at the store and talking to our own guy who records our band, I decided to go for these instead of a passive set of Adams simply becuase A) the M-audio speakers were less expensive and B) both guys mentioned more "Real world" practicality out of the BX8a's.

After about a year of owning them, I'm still very pleased and I actually got them on that same deal as AValive had an ebay auction for them with free shipping. Couldn't say no to that.

7. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I own a pair of BX8's. I'd say they're a fantastic deal.

You have to have a big enough room though. Toss these in your closet and all you'll hear is treble. Also, space them far enough apart from each other and you, otherwise you won't get a good soundstage.

I didn't like them for a long time, but after re-arranging my room and putting them on stands, they were perfect.

That being said, I'm selling mine as I'm getting out of recording. They'll be on eBay someday when I'm not lazy! But yeah the BX8's are great monitors, I'd recommend them for sure.

8. FastRedPonyCar

FastRedPonyCar Member

yeah I noticed that too. I got them right before my wife and I moved out of our apt and the room they were in was small with no sound treatment.

Now, they're in a 12X12 room centered on a large desk with the foam iso pads under them. I've got acoustic tiling/bass traps setup in my room and the quality went through the roof.