M-Audio Fast Track Pro v. Toneport UX-2?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by JasonT, Feb 12, 2006.

1. JasonT

JasonT Member

I'm looking to get an interface so I can start recording. I have an iMac and Garageband and I'm looking for a good interface. I am looking at the Fast Track Pro and UX-2 because I want to have the ability to use two microphones. Also, my primary desire is to record my guitar through my amp.

Has anyone used either of these products? Comments? Pros/Cons? Concerns? Alternatives? I'm just getting started with recording so don't assume I understand everything. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Julian_Lee

Julian_Lee Member

Hmm I'm also looking for similar setup but I have decided to get a PODxt together with a Fast Track Pro to pair up with my Garageband for the time being.

3. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Silver Supporting Member

I am a recording newb, but really dig my UX-2, which I've had since they became available. I haven't used any other interface to compare, but I love the Tone Port enough that I'm perfectly settled on it. I also really like Ableton Live, and immediately upgraded to the full version.

I have had excellent results using the Line 6 amp models that come with the TP - surprisingly super-cool sounding! I also record my own mic'd up amps with equally great results. The quality has been top-notch and for the price point, I don't think much else can compete. Highly recommended!

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

When I was looking into this for some friends of mine my rep at Sweetwater said the FastTrack Pro was better audio quality than the Toneport.

I've known the guy a while so I know he's made the comparison for himself, and if I were buying it I'd put my money behind what he said. But that's the extent of my knowledge: someone else's opinion. FWIW.

5. anyone

anyone Member

I'm in the exact situation now, so... bump for some more help! Please.
    Also, is it worth going to Fast Tracks Pro for just a home hobbyist (I do want to mic amps and stuff... eventually).
    Thanks.

6. ronin32

ronin32 Member

I was just about to make a post about this question. :dude

Since my iBook does not have a audio in port, can I hook one of these up through the usb port?

7. anyone

anyone Member

Yep! I wish I had more info to offer...
    There are some Firewire ones too.
    I'm not sure which is best or why...

8. ronin32

ronin32 Member

Now that I re-read my post I ment to say is there a way to avoid the lag that Ive read about with using them via usb?

9. Lance Romance

Lance Romance Member

I have a toneport UX2 and it hooks up via USB. it's also powered via the same USB, so you only need one cable for the interface.

It has phantom power for condenser mic's and the software rocks. It has all of the POD amps in there, plus bass amps, acoustic guitar settings, vocal settings, drum settings...etc. I have to add a bit of info here...the Acoustic and vocal settings are not just a sepcial EQ settings or flavors, but it gives you the Pre-amp, the room, verb, early relection, compression, and all other FX in the pre-set. So, in the Acoustic settings folder they give you 4 pre-sets that has all of the recording chain thought out, but you can change the recording console if you want from UK to USA, or you can change the comp settings...etc. but the pre-sets rock. It shows you how the pro's set up the entire signal chain to get some of those all familiar tones. In a nutshell...Line6 makes it so friggin easy to get good tones on any instrument. A lot of thought went into the software. I am having a blast with this unit.

This thing is worth 3 times the money.