M-Audio Firewire Solo

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by poljot, Sep 5, 2008.

1. poljot

poljot Member

Hi everyone,

I just bought one and I have two questions: 1) should the gain switches completely silence the input?, and 2) should the guitar input (input 2) have a much lower gain that the mic input (input 1)?

When I turn the gain all the way down, on both channels, the laptop is still getting a signal. I can play my guitar and clearly hear the output from my laptop.

I've got two Taylor guitars; a T5 and a 314 acoustic. The acoustic came with a balanced guitar cord with an XLR plug and I'm using it to plug both these guitars into the mic input of the Solo. When I plug my Les Paul into the guitar input (using a regular guitar cable) I have to jack the gain all the way up which results in a lot of noise. I am able to use the balanced cable with my LP into input 1.

In comparision, I have an M-Audio Jamlab that delivers a suitable guitar input signal with zero noise. Is my Firewire Solo a dud?

Any information/suggestions will be appreciated.