M-Audio FireWire Solo

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jim dandy, Feb 20, 2005.

1. jim dandy

jim dandy Member

Hi, the FireWire Solo is a fairly new piece of equipment, so I haven't been able to find too much information about its sound quality. I want to have something to record with when I go to college this fall. The FireWire solo only has one XLR input, but I think that's all I'm going to need for a while.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWireSolo-main.html

Has anyone had any experience with this unit? The FireWire connection makes this unit seem attractive, but I'm interested about its sound quality because of its budget-friendliness. It sells for $199

2. beachwail

beachwail Member

Me too. Very interested in this unit for some quick recordings on-the-fly. Also looks very portable to take in my laptop bag.

Even if the mic-pre is not so great, you could hook an external mixer to it, right? Does that work with unbalanced inputs?

I've also heard that for "basic stuff" the USB devices are more than adequate. It seems that the latency issues are only a problem when using your computer as a bus for effects....meaning the box has to A/D convert your signal, send to computer, apply processing, send back, and D/A convert, amplify to headphones.... all in "real-time".

The Presonus stuff looks nice for a reasonable pricepoint as well. Definitely let me know what you find out Jim Dandy (if nobody else chimes in).

Cheers!

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

IMO, any latency above 5 you can feel and it effects the groove. Most of the USB devices seem to be limited to about 7.5ms latency minimum...

4. jim dandy

jim dandy Member

Thanks, I did not know about the USB's minimum latency of 7.5 ms. I don't think I'm going to have a system optimized for recording, so latency may be an issue.

I still have to save up for a Sennheiser e609 mic and headphones, so it'll be a little while before I'm able to get the FireWire Solo.

This product seems to be replacing the FireWire Audiophile 2496, so I'm guessing the sound quality should be on par with it. The Audiophile doesn't have an XLR input, so they could also be very different.

I'm also looking into getting a Line 6 PODxt if this doesn't work out.

5. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I don't know if 7.5ms is any kind of industry standard minimum latency but I have not gotten anything lower on any of my computers. The POD XT will only have USB connection so you'll get the same poor performance.

6. jim dandy

jim dandy Member

thank you again Mr. Zucker. The FireWire route seems to be the way to go.

7. gururyan

gururyan Member

So does anybody have the Firewire Solo yet? I too am interested in it and just noticed it also has phantom power!

Anybody? Any real reviews of it? Anybody use it with GarageBand?

8. forestryguy

forestryguy Member

There are some threads on the MacMusic.org forums.
    macmusic.org forum
    Also there is an inexpensive USB interface specifically for use in Garageband made by M-Audio.
    P.S. You don't have to be a Mac User to benefit from the advice on this forum, but it helps.

9. gururyan

gururyan Member

Ah, but I am. :)

10. muddy

muddy Member

sorry to break in here, but have you guys seen that digidesign & m-audio have created protools-m, which is le designed to work with a number of m-audio's interfaces? it's cheaper than the 002 & 002r, in the range of the 001 & below, and they DO work with the latest version of p-stools in osX. worth having a look at...

ml

11. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

look good in that you can do firewire 24/96, but how does the bundled PT compare with the LE that comes with the mbox bundle?

12. muddy

muddy Member

the only diff in ALL the le's (& now m's) is what interface they look for so that the program will continue to load up. the software is exactly the same. the m=box sux, & it always has (usb? v.1? hah!), & the m-audio should really be the greatest in value AND power on the lower end (pricewise) of things. and the most expensive version basically replaces the 001. the best thing (only for pc users, though, as far as i can tell, which really sux for us mac users!) is that you can chain the hardware!!! YES!!! the 1 wall that NEVER seemed like it would come down with le!! still limited to 32 trax, but now you can get the i/o's we've always needed more of (esPECIALLY the o's!)! OH! and the cards are PCI!!! no USB!!!

ml

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

14. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

maybe i'll give this pro tools thing a shot, what's a good m-audio firewire or USB 2 2+ channel unit? Has to do ASIO and WDM well for mastering with Wavelab as well.

15. mikeyp123

mikeyp123 Guest

I've been using a solo for a couple months now. I get 6ms latency /w guitar rig at 96khz. I'm using firewire, not USB. It's a pretty solid piece of hardware, I haven't had the chance to compare the mic pre to something better.

I like and recommend.

16. gururyan

gururyan Member

Can you chain 2 Solos together? I was looking at the 410 and all it really seems to give you over the solo is 7.1 out...I don't care about that. I want 4 in, the 410 deceives you into thinking you can get 4 in (each "2" is an either/or...not 2), so...chaining 2 solos would be more beneficial in my eyes.

17. mikeyp123

mikeyp123 Guest

2 solos.. dunno about that.. BUT, it technically does have 4 inputs. Analog L/R and SPDIF L/R. Maybe a cheap external DAC is an option...