M-Audio Microtrack 24/96? Trigger Finger? TranzPort?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by decay-o-caster, Sep 5, 2005.

1. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Anyone used these? I just got around to reading the latest Sweetwater newsletter and saw these lil beauties.

On the one hand it seems like the Microtrack would be a fine thing for recording clips, but also for doing remote recording (band practices, etc.). Even for recording parts remotely for inclusion in studio projects. Am I missing something?

And the TranzPort? Remote control of your computer recording? Does it work?

See, my real problem is, my (desktop) computer on which I record is in the third bedroom - er, Studio 3! - while my amps and cabs and such are in the family room - er, the remote studio! Yeah, I can drag stuff back and forth, but it would be lovely if I could record the amps in place, then work on them where the computer is. So the Microtrack and the Tranzport seem like tools towards the solution to that problem.

And I'm constantly looking for a decent way to get non-loop-based drums into my recordings. Anybody have any good or bad thoughts about this drum pad thingy? Not that I'm a good drummer, but I'd rather play my own drum parts than try to find loops or patterns that fit with the music I'm trying to record.

Anyone have any thoughts about these new toys?

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

The tranzport is definitely one of the coolest products of the year. I wish they would put midi i/o on it so I could use it w/o a computer.

3. e-z

e-z Member

The Trigger Finger looks cool. I find it's much easier to program drums using pads and I've been hoping someone would make a product like this.

4. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I've been looking for something like the MicroTrack for several years, to no avail. I didn't want to go MD or DAT, but most of the flash/card stuff I've seen used MP3 rather than wav, and didn't have phantom power. Very interesting ... although I was under the (mis)apprehension that you needed an XLR input to use phantom power, not TRS...but clearly I was wrong.

5. Sebastian

Sebastian Supporting Member

The Tranzport is a great idea. Make sure it's compatible with your DAW program. I use ProTools and Samplitude and I know that not all of the Tranzport's functions are compatible with Samplitude, otherwise, I'd get one. As soon as they iron it out, I'm in.

The Microtrack is another good idea. I've been shopping around for a new notepad/sketchpad for songwriting, as well as something to record rehearsals so I don't have to drag my laptop around. There are also similar products from Edirol and Marantz. I want something with a built in mic, and ideally a speaker like the Marantz, for quick songwriting stuff.

6. Orren

Orren Member

Look for my review of the Trigger Finger in Electronic Musician in a few months. Bottom line--it's a great unit for the price. Doesn't need drivers, bus powered, feels good.

Orren

7. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Thanks for the feedback, y'all. So which do I buy first??? ;)

8. e-z

e-z Member

It sounds like the Tranzport would solve the multiple room problem. It would help you get the most out of the stuff you already have.