m-audio Midi controller not setting up in PROTOOLS

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Cary Chilton, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I have this Axiom 25 sitting here, collecting dust. I haven't been able to get it working yet.
    FIRST: my laptop has only 3 usb's, if I am programming in BFD then ALL my usb's are used otherwise I have one available.

Second: I simply plugged the axiom in the computer via usb, followed the driver wizards with protools open. All drivers are installed, no issues. I also went into the midi setup, created a new inst. name it, selected mbox2 in the appropriate areas. Oh ya, I created an inst. track, inserted xpand!, pressed record, tried to find my new inst. AXIOM 25, but there was nothing, and no sounds! What am I missing here?

Also, I bought ONE midi cable, off ebay -actually sent from England that arrived dayz ago because I wanted to run my Axiom25 through my mBox2, but I could not get any power up. I insert the cable on the mbox2 to midi in, and then to the axiom25's midi out, is that right? Do I need to buy an adapter to power up the axiom through the mbox2? I guessing ya?

help fast please!

2. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

If we're talking Mac, I've had issues with the USB ports providing enough power to use the phantom power. Also, you need to run the Mbox midi back to the keyboard, wouldn't you?

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

If it works anything like my 88 key M-Audio controller, you need to either power it from USB (via a powered hub if necessary, since some computers don't put out enough juice) or, to use MIDI control, power it from a power adapter. MIDI will probably not power the unit.

4. wolf9309

wolf9309 Member

midi is a two-way path. if I'm understanding you correctly, you need to have midi plugged in both from the midi out of the keyboard to the mbox and from the midi out of the mbox to the midi in of the keyboard

5. LSchefman

Actually, Wolf, MIDI operates just fine as a one way path. The MIDI spec does not require that both the MIDI input and output be attached, unless you want two-way communication, for example, if you want a synth to work as both a controller and a sound module, or if you want to use a sequencer or editor/librarian to store patch data.

From a controller that doesn't have on-board sounds, it only needs to be a one-way path, and the same is true of sound modules if you don't need them to communicate back to you. For example, there is no need to connect the MIDI output of something like a sample playback module to the input of a MIDI interface, etc. As long as you connect its input to your interface's output, it will work perfectly well.

I have had many pieces of gear "MIDI'd up" with only one cable in my studio, and they work fine.

Now, the thing about the M-Audio controllers is that the ones with knobs on them can be used with a very nice free program called "Enigma", that works as an editor/librarian on your computer to create and store settings to control software plug-ins, soft synths, certain hardware, and other software features. So it wouldn't be a bad idea to hook MIDI up to it both ways if you plan to use this software.

6. Cary Chilton

Ok thanks, do I need a power adapter to fire it up if connected to the Mbox2?? Just to make sure, Mbox2 midi out to the M-Audios midi in??? is the right connection?

7. LSchefman

Yes, I think you need a power adapter to connect it to the M-Box (which I'm assuming is also a MIDI interface? You might want to make sure).

And as to connections, you have it backwards. You need to connect the M-Audio's MIDI OUT to the M-Box' MIDI IN if you're going to use it as a controller. You're sending information FROM the controller to the interface. So you connect its MIDI output to the interface's input.

Capice?

8. 2012studios

2012studios Member

Cary... I know you from over on the DUC. see your posts all the time. i just found this forum... i like it! I think you're going about this the wrong way...

1st: you say when you program in BFD all USB ports are used... used by what & for what ? drum pads? 3 of them?! what's the deal there?

2nd: you don't need pro tools open when the drivers are installed. in fact, you don't want it open when you do that. but now... the drivers should already be installed for that USB port. anytime you plug the Axiom in it should be recognized, no need to re-install the drivers.

3rd: these USB MIDI controllers send/received POWER & MIDI data over the USB cable. no MIDI cable is needed. i use an M-Audio keystation 88...and the ONLY connection i have is one USB cable.

4th: the MIDI setup portion of Pro Tools LE is not where you want to be! That has nothing to do with USB MIDI Controllers...

try this:

1st. make sure the Axiom's drivers are installed
    2nd. open PT LE
    3rd. plug in the Axiom and turn it on (you can plug it in before PT LE as well... but SOMETIMES, PT doesn't recognize USB controllers from time to time)
    4th. create an Instrument track. Insert Xpand! if you wish... check your Views and make sure that the Instrument View is selected for the Mix window. this will bring up your MIDI Input & Output tabs (they look just like input/output buttons i.e. Analog 1, Bus 1-2, etc)
    5th. the top button is the MIDI input. click it and select ALL.
    6th. the bottom button assigns the MIDI output to an instrument... you have to have an instrument open to be able to select a MIDI Output. with Xpand! open, you can select Xpand! as the output.

now, just set the levels, and BUS the instrument track to an audio track and record.

that's it.

P.S. MIDI cables do not supply power, only MIDI

P.S.S. a USB cable is WAAAAAAAAAY more than capable of transmitting MIDI, so don't worry about that...

i don't know much about Mac USB problems... i'm on windows, so YMMV.

good luck.

9. 2012studios

2012studios Member

Since you've already purchased a MIDI cable... you may want to try this...

I'm assuming that plugging in using the USB cable POWERS the Axiom, right? I'm assuming it does, otherwise you would have mentioned that.

So we can rule out power issues here i think.

IF you cannot get the controller working as a USB MIDI controller, then plug the USB cable in (JUST FOR POWER)... now, take the MIDI cable and plug it in the MIDI OUT jack of the Axiom into the MIDI IN jack on your Mbox.

10. LSchefman

most of the m-audio controllers will NOT let you use USB and standard MIDI together.
    Use one or the other.

11. 2012studios

2012studios Member

are you saying if the USB cable is plugged into an M-audio controller, the MIDI ports become inactive ?

12. Cary Chilton

2012, what is your handle on DUC? THanks. Actually I got Xpand! working with my Axiom, FUN STUFF! Regarding the 3 USB port taken up: One for the Ilok, one for Mbox2, and one for my external hard drive to use the DATA for BFD. So, yeah... I would need a power adapter and then plug axiom into mbox2 so I could run BFD.....

13. 2012studios

2012studios Member

yeah cary, that's the way to go. get a power adapter, and you're set.

im 2012 everywhere i go... someone else has that handle here though, hence - 2012studios

Xpand! rules, without a doubt. If you're into synth sounds/work, you have to check out Absynth 3. It's amazing.

how do you like the Axiom?

14. Cary Chilton

axiom and the FREE F$%ckin Xpand! are KILLER! FREE!!! wow.... really sweet, nice Bass sounds, actually hear string buzz and hand slides! Very cool! Who makes Absynth 3 and how does it compare to Mcdsp softsynth??? I can't get over that only the software is making these Funky sounds!! using algorithms?? Blows my mind...

15. 2012studios

2012studios Member

Absynth is made by native instruments.

It's a different beast than Xpand... but a darker shadow of a beast.

Where Xpand! kind of does everything... Absynth sticks to dark, ominous, spacey stuff, just really interesting sounds.

16. Cary Chilton

Mcdsp? Ever try? I am thinking about getting a Classical instrument softsynth or sample-midi triggered for movie, tv or commercial stuff.... any experience using this kind of software?

17. Cary Chilton

oh yeah, is it VST or RTAS? I haven't bought a VST wrapper yet.... would you recommend buying the wrapper? Are there any great free VST plugs?

18. 2012studios

2012studios Member

for film work... you could probably get away with using just Xpand! although Absynth could be great for horror or dark films, or techie stuff.

absynth is RTAS & VST... so it's muy compatible.

the VST-RTAS is definitely worth the price of admission... however there aren't 1,000's of great free VSTs. after demoing a TON, i cut it back, way back... now i have maybe 10 VSTs on my computer.

i don't like using a lot of plug-ins anyway, so... whereas some people love having tons of plugs for whenever the mood strikes, i prefer to spend the money on different instruments for whenever the mood strikes.

19. 2012studios

2012studios Member

uh... not sure about the McDsp synth... i haven't heard it, but their Filterbank, Compressorbank, and Analog Channel plugs are awesome.

20. LSchefman

>>are you saying if the USB cable is plugged into an M-audio controller, the MIDI ports become inactive ?<<

Maybe I should clarify.

The manual for my Keystation Pro 88 says not to use USB and an external power supply at the same time, or the unit will be damaged. Yours may or may not have the same restrictions, check your manual.

If your laptop's USB ports aren't providing enough juice to power the unit via USB, you need to use a power supply. If you do, don't go with USB for MIDI because the interaction with what juice is coming out of your laptop into the unit via USB and the external power supply may damage the unit. Instead, use the MIDI I/O and standard MIDI cables with an external power supply.