M-tone Guitars

Speedbump61

Gold Supporting Member
Over the years I don’t believe I’ve really seen anyone ( other than a few posts from myself) mention this line. I’ve owned three of his guitars and am currently having another built to replace one I sadly had to sell a few years back. Matt Proctor makes beautiful designs that he mixes with metal work ( I believe he was a metal sculptor before he became a full time guitar builder) His guitars have a solidity I have not felt in any other guitar. the tone is just as good as the build quality. He uses quite a variety of pickups from many different vendors, but he seems to pick just the right ones for every project. I believe he must have some innate feel for what each mixture of woods will produce, and matches that to some idea in his head of what particular pickup will work to give him the sound he is imagining.

desertrat07

Silver Supporting Member
I have lots of love for M-Tone - I currently own two, and Matt is a great person and a fantastic luthier with a very unique artistic vision and skillset. Here are mine, they both inspire creativity and I'll never let them go (although I have thought of asking Matt to make me another pickguard with P-90's for the paisley Counterpunch).

20220520_112248.jpg

Last edited:

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
Wow, no love at all apparently.
Either you don't hang out here much or haven't seen the threads we've had here in the past.

Matt's work gets high praise around here and I think he was on some of the early pages of our epic Luthier's Work Bench thread found on this forum.

As @Jazzandmore points out, Scott with @Zen_Guitar has sold a number of them in recent years.

Speedbump61

Gold Supporting Member
Yes, Scott is the one who first got me going to buy my earlier M tones. I haven’t seen them mentioned in quite some time though.

The Eristic

I sorely regret not buying one of his TKOs that showed up locally a few years back. Much more straight-ahead and traditional than his more recent work, but it had distinct feel and sound I have not encountered in any other T-style.

Route234

Ive been following his work for a long time. His guitars have always impressed me, but his newer ones with all the carvings and intricate designs are definitely next level.

Speedbump61

Gold Supporting Member
The one on the left has the P92s. Don’t remember names. That guitar the the one with three P90s were two that Matt took to the Holy Grail guitar show in Germany I believe. The center one is a hollow body.

Matt Coffman

The one on the left has the P92s. Don’t remember names. That guitar the the one with three P90s were two that Matt took to the Holy Grail guitar show in Germany I believe. The center one is a hollow body.
Thanks for the extra info – the guitar sounds great in that video.

I don't remember where I first heard of M-Tone guitars, but I've never known anyone who has played one. Cool to hear that these are among the best guitars you've owned.

Top Bottom