M13 footswitch upgrade - worth it?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stevel, Jan 23, 2015.

1. stevel

stevel Member

Probably at about 200 for repairs and shipping. Maybe more to buy a box at USPS.

New ones 399.99.

How long are these units going to last. If I get footswitches upgraged, how long is going to be for other knobs and such go bad (I gig mine regularly)? The model select knob for the lst FX is getting a bit hinky too, so that concerns me (not to mention that all of the knobs in that section were stiffer to turn since the day I bought it).

My other option is to buy a programmable loop/selector and individual pedals. Won't be near as useful but at least if one pedal goes down, your whole rig isn't shot. And it's cheaper to replace one pedal than to send an entire unit out for repair.

But it's probably going to cost me what the cost of the repairs are for a cheap programmable looper, that may be no better than the Line 6 stuff - then I still have to buy pedals.

IOW, if I make this investment in the M13, I want to see decades of use out of it.

2. Faraldi

Faraldi Member

I dunno, Steve. If you're considering pedals and a programmable switch, you're talking quite a bit more than what the M13 will cost you, even if you have to replace it every five years or so. Of course a lot depends upon the pedals you would buy but you get my point.

I'm fairly certain the switch upgrade isn't too difficult or costly. As for the knobs, I strongly suggest getting some Deoxit spray in there. The stuff does wonders and it's actually good for maintaining electronics.

3. Aaron Mayo

Aaron Mayo Member

Have you looked into a midi controller? Not sure if this would be cost-effective or even work for you, but it's an option that would extend the life of your unit.

I'd be inclined to find a cherry used one. Like you said, other things can fail. If the pushbutton rotary knobs are unresponsive, take the knob off and remove any gunk then put it back on. Worked for me.

4. stevel

stevel Member

The MIDI pedalboard actually crossed my mind. I teach a MIDI class and I was explaning how a lot of old gear, even if the screens are broken, etc. can still be played via MIDI messages, and then I went "doh" - I could use that for my issue.

Of course, it kind of sucks to have to have a midi pedalboard laying there to control - a pedalboard.

Thanks both of you for the advice on the knobs.

I'm still debating sending it off. I do really love the sounds in it, and I've learned to tweak them and find sweet spots and so on, and it does ALMOST everything I need.

But I'm still pissed at Line 6 for this and won't buy anymore of their products in the future unless they stop making toys.

5. MetalGuitard

MetalGuitard Member

The switches used to do the upgrades will probably last many years, assuming they use good ones like Carling, etc.

As for the pots, they're gonna wear out. Is it an option to have them replaced too? Some techs might cut you a break if they're already gonna be in there with the M13 apart to go ahead and do the pots but it depends on what kind they used and how they're attached to the PCB, etc. Worth a shot to ask if you know some are already shady.

The other option might be to buy another M13 used. I see them for $300 quite often. You could back yours up on a computer and restore that to another and have a backup/spare/replacement.

6. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

I don't use mine a lot but I have replaced 2 switches with the same thing that is in there.Not too hard to do and a hell of a lot cheaper than sending it for switch upgrades.I think if I relied on it(I don't) I would get a used back up M13 but I tend to have two or three of everything.

7. Marrrr

Marrrr Member

that's what I want to say...I mean changing the switch is one of the easiest things to do with the pedals. Someone will DIY a pedal.. Dont waste the money..

8. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

I would not do it... It's a lot of cash for not a lot of bang for your buck. I have seen M13's sell for about $250 used...