M5 for "once in a set" effect ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Anthony Gring, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

So here it is, Out of three sets rock , blues, oldies music I'm using:
    Chorus , twice
    Leslie , twice
    Tremelo, twice

I also was looking into getting a DL4 for the auto swell delay effect I'd like to have for when I play worship.

I'm thinking it just might make sense to pick up an M5 to cover the above individual effects. I realize it can only do one effect at a time but I need the effects above so infrequently it seems to make sense.

Care to opine ?

2. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

The M-series does all of those effects reasonably well (Leslie is a bit weak). You can get the M5 for the price of a DL4, or move up to an M9 and get quite a bit more versatility.

3. chrisrnps

chrisrnps Member

Seems like a great solution to do all of the above occasionally, while only taking up the space (and money) of one pedal. I have the m13 (same effects, just more of them at a time) exactly for these types of 'want to have the option of that effect available, but don't want to buy a separate pedal for it' effects. If you have the space available an m9 and an expression pedal would be even more versatile.

4. stilwel

stilwel Member

This is basically what the pedal was designed for and it does it very well.

Swiss-Army knife pedal.

5. parkhill

parkhill Member

I haven't tried the m5 but it seems like it would work. You might also want to consider looking for a used Damage Control Glass Nexus. It would handle all of that quite well from what I remember. I wish I hadn't sold mine. They're pretty big but they will handle delay, reverb, and one modulation effect all at the same time.

6. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

I own the M5 for this very reason, and while I use it for delay 90% of the time, i also will use it for chorus/reveb/phase effects on the occasion.

I just bought an M9 so that I had the option of using 2-3 at a time.

7. AndrewC

AndrewC Supporting Member

I bought an M5 to use as a spare reverb and was surprised at how good the chorus and delay effects are. The rotary is poor though.

For those three particular effects, I would get an Eventide Modfactor. The sounds are great and the ability to link the parameters of the effects to the dynamics of your playing is really cool.

8. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

Yep, M5 is great for replacing various effects that you won't use that often. For me, that is Oct up/Oct down whammy stuff, Flanger (I like the "Analog Flanger" model with low resonance settings best), Goatkeeper style pattern Tremolo and reverb. (I love reverb, but use mainly my amps spring reverb). Also, the phaser models are quite good.

I love the M5 also for delay stuff. Especially combined with an expression pedal. Tube delay, dotted eights, assigning heel position to a bit delay and toe to full feedback and "wet and dry at equal volume" is still my favourite delay, though I have a Strymon Timeline on my board.

As the others wrote, I also think the leslie simulation sucks. You might rather try the Phaser and Flanger models at high speeds to get fast leslie types of sound.

What I really hate about the M5 is the complicated way to change presets. Hit both footswitches simultaneously, then tap through the presets (you can't even scroll through them by holding the switch), then hit both footswitches again, then switch on the preset (unless you have stored your presets as "switched on", in which case tapping through the presets you will here all the effects ... not nice for changing, say, from preset 2 to 15 during a song. Why on earth didn't the Line6 people put a third switch on the M5 for this? There would have been plenty of room in the upper right corner. Well, whatever, I'll get me a DMC3XL to remote control preset change on the M5 and the Looper on the Timeline http://disasterareaamps.com/wordpress/

9. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i think the M5 would be a bit easier to tweak with the screen readout over the glass nexus.... i think you're on the right track here :)

10. Anthony Gring

Thanks for the replies so far!

11. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

I'll agree the rotary is pretty weak in the m-stuff. I'm also not a huge fan of the phasers...but that may just be me.

Overall it's a perfect swiss army pedal and has the auto-swell feature, get it!!

12. heffernoise

heffernoise Supporting Member

m5 is awesome.. itll stay on my board for sure. i doubt youll be disappointed

13. ringemaster

ringemaster Member

M5 is the way to go. Swiss army knife pedal for me.

14. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

I think the M5 is a good choice for your needs and it does all those effects well. If you told me you were going to use it for dirt, i'd caution you...but, mods, delays and verbs are very good.

15. Anthony Gring

I've got a great board as it is. Paisley & Plextortion for dirt, RC Booster, Empress compressor, Tremulator, AM mini chorus, El Capistan & DD20. I just really wanted that auto swell delay that the DL4 does so nicely. Just didn't want the footprint of the DL4 and, as mentioned, figured the M5 could do the auto swell and do the trem and chorus duties too.