M9 bypass, quieter than straight cable

audiomichael

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Line6 M9. When all of the FX are bypassed, the straight guitar signal is quieter than when I plug directly into the amp. I just ordered a couple midi cables to do a firmware update, but has anyone else experienced this?
:dunno

Thanks!

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Do you have it setup for true bypass? It's a setting in the setup menu. Overall, my board has less tone suck than when I had a larger board full of boutique pedals.

NetStar

My M13 sounds great.

Also, I found that if you cut the power, signal will still pass through. Gig proof!

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
Make sure it's not the noise gate kicking in. The gate can be set to work pretty transparently so you may not realize it's on. At least that's how my M13 is.

audiomichael

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the heads-up on the noise gate. I'll check that as soon as I get home, and report back.

audiomichael

Silver Supporting Member
:facepalm

HOLY SMACKERS!!! It was the DSP Bypass. CRAZY. The DSP Bypass is 9db quieter than the True Bypass (and the straight wire cable). That's really strange... if it's hitting DSP anyway, why not make it unity gain??? :dunno

I wanted it in True Bypass anyway, so it's no longer a problem. Thanks for the advice.

-MN

richrenken

:facepalm

HOLY SMACKERS!!! It was the DSP Bypass. CRAZY. The DSP Bypass is 9db quieter than the True Bypass (and the straight wire cable). That's really strange... if it's hitting DSP anyway, why not make it unity gain??? :dunno

I wanted it in True Bypass anyway, so it's no longer a problem. Thanks for the advice.

-MN

I have not experienced this or heard of this from any of our beta guys. Can you describe your set up in more detail so I can try to replicate? If it is 9dB quieter in DSP bypass then when you kick in an effect it should lower your signal by 9dB as well. Is that your experience?

Andre357

I have not experienced this or heard of this from any of our beta guys. Can you describe your set up in more detail so I can try to replicate? If it is 9dB quieter in DSP bypass then when you kick in an effect it should lower your signal by 9dB as well. Is that your experience?

Rich - i have experienced this as well with the M9...

It seems when you run it in DSP mode - it lowers the overall input and output of the unit...

I compensate by using a clean boost after the M9 - so my tone is the same volume whether i use the amp loop or not ( or I even goose it a bit )..

I owned an M13 for a while before getting the M9 by the way and dont remember the same difference in volume...

Test it this way ( maybe some one else can try this as well )...

While playing the M9 , go to setup and switch the output from true bypass to DSP - do you guys hear a difference in volume ??

Mine is in the instrument level loop of a Budda amp by the way...

I remember thinking the volume was the SAME if you switched between dsp and true bypass on the M13 ( maybe it got a little clearer because of the buffer, a very good one by the way )...

But there seems to be a subtle volume drop between the two settings on the M9... I dont think 9db though, but it's there...

I'm sure it's not the gate by the way I have that off at all times in every scene...

audiomichael

Silver Supporting Member
Hi Rich,

It's M9 ver1.01 (I'm Snow Leopard and will update firmware as soon as it's avail).

I had it at the end of my chain, but to track down the problem, I went directly into each pedal till I narrowed it down to the M9.

To more accurately test, I ran Guitar > M9 > Summit Mic Pre, and recorded it. When I switched back and forth, it almost gave an Ace Frehley toggle switch effect.

I didn't notice it before, but yes. The level drops when any effect is added. I had only used it for distortions and complete mutations, so I didn't notice, but with an EQ flat preset, the level drops.

-MN

Andre357

Hi Rich,

It's M9 ver1.01 (I'm Snow Leopard and will update firmware as soon as it's avail).

I had it at the end of my chain, but to track down the problem, I went directly into each pedal till I narrowed it down to the M9.

To more accurately test, I ran Guitar > M9 > Summit Mic Pre, and recorded it. When I switched back and forth, it almost gave an Ace Frehley toggle switch effect.

I didn't notice it before, but yes. The level drops when any effect is added. I had only used it for distortions and complete mutations, so I didn't notice, but with an EQ flat preset, the level drops.

-MN

Audiomichael - I have experienced a similar phenomenon for what it's worth, I'm sure Rich will look into it.

Love the Ace Frehley reference by the way :cool:

richrenken

Hi Rich,

-MN

Could you email me what you recorded?

I just tried it. Here is what I did.

Guitar > M9 > amp. I disengaged all effects and go into the set up menu and switch between DSP and True bypass. I hear no difference. I am using a short cable going from the M9 to the amp.

Sorry to be redundant, could you go into the set up menu and go to the screen that says Gate and be sure the threshold is set to OFF.

audiomichael

Silver Supporting Member
I will check the Gate setting tonight.

Please check your PM's. I sent you links to audio files.

Thanks,
M

UncleLarry

Could you email me what you recorded?

I just tried it. Here is what I did.

Guitar > M9 > amp. I disengaged all effects and go into the set up menu and switch between DSP and True bypass. I hear no difference. I am using a short cable going from the M9 to the amp.

Sorry to be redundant, could you go into the set up menu and go to the screen that says Gate and be sure the threshold is set to OFF.

I had noticed the volume issue when I first got my M13, and I found the volume change was due to how the threshold of the noise gate was set. I set it to the minimum amount necessary to just get rid of any hiss and the volume difference became negligable.

The Whiz

Hmmm...I hope this gets resolved soon. I'm itching to get the M9. Mind you, I would run it in DSP bypass so atleast the drop in volume would be consistent as to when the effects were either bypassed or on.

So if you're running it in the true (relay) bypass mode there's a significant drop in level when you turn an effect on??

Shnikeys!

furry

yeah, I'm on the fence for one of these, so I'm paying close attention as well...

The Whiz

Too late now, I just ordered an Analogman Dual Delay and a Headrush (for looping). I've got my FM4 for teh trippy stuff.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom