M9/M13 accuracy

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by amp48, Feb 24, 2012.

1. amp48

amp48 Member

Ignoring the dirt models, how accurate are the sounds in the line 6 M series? What pedals have you AB'd with?

2. shawnshack

shawnshack Supporting Member

to my ear (which is not at the level of many here), it's pretty close. When I had an M13, later moving to an M9, I had most of the pedals listed in my sig and I could do a decent job at replicating all of them. A real analog delay pedal is hard to replicate with a digital delay, but probably close enough for most peoples application. I was even pretty close to being able to replicate my drive pedals. The biggest struggle I had with the m-series was how the drives responded to my playing. I could clean them up with lighter pick attack and my volume knob, but not the same as my analog pedals. And if I remember correctly, when stacking delays they don't run in series, but rather in parallel (could be wrong), so that effected the sound of how I stack delays. Same with stacking drives. Some days I regret selling them, but I have access to a couple of M13's if I needed one.

3. mmcm4

mmcm4 Member

I haven't AB'd any of the sounds, but I like a lot of the delays (Low Res, Analog w/Mod, Analog, Tube, etc.)

As far as series or parallel, the only parallel delay is the stereo delay. If you run more than one delay, they will be in series (just like each slot is in series).

4. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

Good enough that no one (except maybe for the total tone-obsessed, who really don't matter anyway) will be able to tell the difference.

5. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

I've said this many times here. I've begged many of the pedals and A/B'ed them to my M-13 a long time ago and you can't tell the difference from the next room.
    Everyone complains about the dirt and that's a crock. If I knew how I'd video it.
    Is it an Analog Man or ZVex no but it's worth every penny.

6. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I haven't A/Bed but I was able to get great results from the M13, and now I use the same FX in the HD 500 and I still love 'em. There are maybe only two dirt pedals you'll like (who knows which ones, everyone is different), but that's okay. I only use the Tube Drive and very occasionally the screamer.

7. doesitmatter

doesitmatter Member

The delays are very good, the mods are okay.

I have a POD HD 400 and an MM4. They sound very close to analog but don't feel the same. An audience or even other band members shouldn't hear a difference but you'll notice.

8. Philo

Philo Member

The rotary isn't very good, but the delays are excellent and the mods are good.

9. mjl9787

mjl9787 Member

The only ones I don't like are the analog delays and the flangers. Everything else, even the drives, are pretty good. A lot of people seem to dislike the fuzzboxes too, but I haven't used those much or a/bed them with anything.

10. gulliver

gulliver Member

I compared the rotary to my destination rotation the other night, it is slightly different, but just as good IMHO ... the down fall is that you cannot fine tune the M9's two speeds as far as I can see. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Wah wah is dead on, but foot action is a little different.

TS-9 is close, but you need to adjust EQ from factory setting IMHO, needs a little more nasal.

11. g0phish

g0phish Member

Funny you mentioned analog man. I had a silver mod ts9 and got the tone. My wife couldn't tell the difference at all, I could only tell the slight difference with the dynamics, and it was barely there. I actually bought it with the intention of delays and reverbs only. I now have it for everything except my compressor and looper. I've never looked back. I think it's actually made me more creative. I spend so much time playing and then just change "for the fun of it" instead of sitting there adjusting knobs and reading reviews

12. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

LOVE the rotary. Especially the drum only.

13. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

I have a script logo DynaComp and Phase 90. It will do both no problem. It will do my Huckleberry Fuzz. Just gotta turn some knobs. My fav is still the Meastro. Being able to do Satisfaction gives me satisfaction and people know that buzz saw sound. No other fuzz does that, my L6 DM-4 did.
    You know I just like the whole thing about the M-13. I just wish it was easier to save scenes. Everything else L6 did has an editor. Not the M series. Might be why I trade it for a HD-400 or I might just keep it. :noevil

14. d3nzi0

d3nzi0 Member

I don't have either the M13 nor the M9 but I do have the M5 and to my ears the modulations and delays are on par with my stomp boxes. I even like using the Screamer stacked with my Blues Pro. And I discovered the Sub Octave Fuzz setting - NASTY.