Mac/Logic users

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Alister, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

I have a great 'academic' price available to me, for both Logic Express and Logic Pro, only to find that my year-old G4 isn't powerful enough for either.
    Firstly, is this true?
    Secondly, WTF? Does everyone have to own a $2500 G5 to play this game?

2. onemind

onemind Member

As far as i know any G4 running os 10.3 should work provided you have the ram, and hard drive space...

These are the specs i found...

Macintosh computer with PowerPC G4 or faster processor (G5 or dual G4 processors recommended)
    Mac OS X v10.3 or later
    512 MB of RAM
    4 GB of available hard-drive space
    PowerPC G5 and Gigabit Ethernet connectivity for Logic Node applications
    DVD drive for software installation
    Available USB port for XSKey (copy protection)
    Low-latency multi-I/O audio hardware and MIDI interface recommended

(s)

3. Alister

Thanks, onemind.
    But I think it's the "dual processors" aspect that's precluding me, here. At least, that's why an officious-looking IT guy for the department told me.
    (I'm hoping I'm wrong, absolutely hoping.)

4. onemind

onemind Member

I've just started using Logic Pro on my G5 but I also use it on my Powerbook which is a G4 933 Mhz. 512megs... Of course I can't get the same number of plug ins, track counts, or use more than a couple of virtual instruments, but it does the job. I guess it depends on how extensively you want to implement it...what other audio applications have you used on there? Does Garage Band run smoothly?

Steve

5. retro

retro Member

I haven't used Logic in a long time, but I did use the Logic Express Demo and it ran fine on mine. Freezing tracks helps.
    However, I am running at 1.2GHz with 1.25GB SDRAM. I use DP and Reason mainly and it works pretty good for me.

If you run into issues there is always the option to upgrade your processor.
    That's what I did quite some time ago. Much faster and better deals these days.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/accelerators/PowerLogix/

And if you do have GB2 and it runs okay, Logic Express was less of a CPU hog.

6. Alister

Thanks, guys, that is what I was wondering about (upgrades) as first option.
    I should've mentioned that my G4 is a laptop (and didn't come with even Garage Band), so I wonder if even the upgrades are available.

7. retro

retro Member

Which laptop and what speed is your processor?

If it's too slow I guess the only other thing I can think of is Apple also offers academic prices. The new iMac G5 is a good choice of the lesser priced Mac's for audio applications.

8. Alister

It's a 933 processor, with only 256 SDRAM.
    I did see on another link provided that there are some upgrades for this laptop.
    I would go with the G5, but damn -- even at academic prices, I can't buy a new computer every two years.
    (But I can buy new guitars and amps. Yup.)

9. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

>>Firstly, is this true?<<

No.

>>Secondly, WTF? Does everyone have to own a $2500 G5 to play this game?<<

No.

If you run lots of soft synths and plugins, obviously, a faster processor is great. But it's not necessary if you aren't using so much stuff that you overload the processor. My son and I both run Digital Performer 4.61 with plug ins and soft synths/samplers on G4 ibook/powerbooks, and DP is slightly worse on the processor than Logic.

It helps to have a gig of RAM. It helps to turn Airport off, if you run a computer with it, while you're recording audio.

Plug ins can be VERY intense on a processor, especially reverbs. Even the fastest dual processor G5s will eventually hit the brick wall. So it's a matter of using your head. If you need to run a 'verb, use it as an aux and don't run one in every channel. If you have a soft synth or sampler, freeze the track before going on to opening up another one.

One nice thing about Logic is that the built in soft synths are comparatively easy on the processor, whereas softsynths like Atmosphere or Absynth will tax the hell out of it.

10. onemind

onemind Member

Alister, I think it will be a workable solution with a memory upgrade... if it's a 933 Mhz Powerbook G4 Titanium, probably a touch over two years old!

(s)

11. retro

retro Member

Yep, I agree with Onemind, just upgrade your memory.

12. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

yup, max out Ur memory. i run logic w/ the current OS on a 1.67 AlBook w/ 2 gigs of RAM and if i use freeze prudently can get excellent track counts.
    yes a G5 is better, faster, louder, etc.....
    max out Ur RAM.

13. Alister

Thanks everyone, for all your expertise. This is why GP is great, for tech. stuff especially.
    I'll follow the advice and upgrade.

14. onemind

onemind Member

15. Orren

Orren Member

512MB won't do it. 512MB is barely enough to run OS X 10.3 and a Web Browser without paging to virtual memory. If you can possibly push it, I'd make sure you have at least 1GB of RAM.

It's not that Logic can't or won't run with less, it's that you cannot get decent performance for any Mac-based audio application, once you start using more than 12 tracks at a time, a softsynth or two, maybe some samples, etc. with less than 1GB.

Orren

16. onemind

onemind Member

Actually 512 will give him 768 megs....not bad on a laptop, I actually get by with 512 megs on the same machine as a live recording rig, yeah, no crazy track counts for sure though. The original 256 can be swapped out as well to give him a gig...(If I recall correctly that might be the max ram that machine can recognize)

(s)

17. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

My son runs 768 Megs of RAM on his laptop, and DP plus several plug ins and soft synths works fine.

But Orren has a good point; paging over to virtual memory pushes things to the point where you can have a few problems.

18. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

My totally bottom-feeder system G3/300, DP3, Sys 8.6 is perfectly adequate for outboard MIDI and several audio tracks. Lay off the soft synths/samplers, take it easy on plug-ins, and you can get by.