Mac Mini with Lion Server

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by pb23r, Jan 25, 2012.

1. pb23r

pb23r Supporting Member

Hi... i know by the search function that the Mac Mini is a viable alternative for home recording. Wondering if anyone has gone with the server configuration? I am comparing the 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 vs. 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 on the server version. Is the quad core the better choice for Pro Tools 10? Any conflict with Lion Server? Dual internal drives looks pretty good too.

My objectives are fairly modest: record my four piece band, have some fun - all that :)

Appreciate any guidance offered...

2. nichcope

nichcope Member

When you go to buy a mini online, you are actually able to customize it to some degree.... You don't have to get the server, can just upgrade to the i7 with the regular one. Also might want to do the dual drive upgrade.

3. Blueser

Blueser Member

They both come with i7. You cannot upgrade to Quad core at this time unless you go server, then you lose clock speed while picking up the additional two cores.

If you can spend the extra cash, a 21.5" iMac is the way to go for the sweetspot of price and performance. For $500 more than a loaded Mini you get:

2.8GH Quad core vs 2.5GH Dual core i7
    Much faster video card
    Wireless keyboard and mouse
    Built in DVD burner/player
    Beautiful 21.5" display with great built in stereo sound

I think while the Mac mini gets you into an Apple at a lower cost of entry, overall, its a poor value that Apple throttles to ensure they don't canibalize their iMac sales.

4. nichcope

nichcope Member

Cool, good to know. Might have to go that route. With PT and that iMac, do you think it's worth upgrading to the dual drive? (hdd and 7200 rpm drives)

5. pb23r

pb23r Supporting Member

Since i already have access to a Thunderbolt monitor, have a keyboard, mouse, extra drives and such - i am thinking a Mini, regardless of whether it is a good "value" (and i agree that the iMac is probably the better choice from many perspectives) is whee i will end up. Any thoughts on the processor choices? Dual core with higher clock speed OR quad core and lower clock speed?

6. kenneth

kenneth Member

While i can't comment on the capatibilities of lion server OS, I would take the quad core i7 over the dual core 2.5 i5.

I realize you are pretty much set on the mini, but you aren't interested in using the TB monitor as a second monitor for your new imac DAW? Have you used a DAW with dual monitors? It is pretty awesome to have tracks on one screen and all the faders on the other. WAAAYYY more efficient workflow. At least for me.

7. pb23r

pb23r Supporting Member

And i thought choosing a DAW was complicated... :)

Thanks of your input... now i have even more to think about!

8. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

As a guy who just bought a Mac Mini for home recording, and who also owns an iMac for another application, I've got to say this is very good advice. You have to get a 7200 drive, whether it's built in or offboard, but other than that the iMac is a very good package.

As for my Mac Mini, I ordered it with the 7200 rpm drive but minimal memory. I got 8GB of Kingston memory for $45 and it works great. Of course I had to buy the SuperDrive since no drive is included. I bought a 24" Viewsonic monitor for $190, and I'm using a mouse and keyboard I had around. I caution against using wireless kb/mouse with a recording setup....might as well buy stock in Duracell because you'll be spending a ton on batteries.

Pics to follow....

EDIT TO ADD: another nice feature of the iMac is the built-in webcam.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012