Mac MP3 software...?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MichaelK, Dec 15, 2004.

1. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Does anyone have a first-hand recommendation for a professional quality stand-alone MP3 converter for Mac OS X? I use N2MP3 on my OS 9 machine in my studio, which does a great job, but they stopped development for OS X.

iTunes is definitely NOT an option...! :)

2. lhallam

lhallam Member

L.A.M.E, it's freeware and it's what MOTU DP 4.5 supports.

3. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Thank you, Lance. As far as I can tell Digi only wants you to buy their "bounce to MP3" option, which sounds like poo.

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Can you elaborate on why Digidesign's mp3 option "sounds like poo" to you? If there are better options out there, then I should be using them!

Bryan

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Bryan, it was years ago and all I remember is that I hated the sound compared to N2MP3. Same bit rate and everything.

Lance, I'm having a hell of a time finding anything other than a .sit file that opens up into a folder filled with what seems like a bunch of DOS stuff. I can't find any installation instructions that relate to OS X in any way I can comprehend.

Other sites say that LAME is a codec, not a converter, and that you need another program that utilizes the codec.

How did you install it?

6. lhallam

lhallam Member

This is from the MOTU site, I'm not sure how it would work with digidesign:

How do I Bounce or Export my DP file as an MP3? Digital Performer 4.5 introduces the ability to directly Bounce to Disk or Export Soundbites as an MP3.

To enabled this, you need to have the LAME.framework installed on your system. The LAME.framework is not included with DP. It is open source software that can be downloaded free of charge. Try searching Google or VersionTracker for "LAME Framework" to download it. Follow the instructions that are included with it to install.

The LAME.framework should be placed in /Library/Frameworks.
    If you do not see LAME Audio Export: MP3 as a choice when you Bounce to Disk or Export Selected bites, the LAME.framework is not installed, or it is installed in the Library of another user. Relocate the LAME.framework to the global /Libary/Frameworks folder.

For information on how to convert your project to an MP3 in AudioDesk or DP 4.12 or earlier, check out the tech note, How to make an MP3 of

Hope this helps.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

OK, so DP is exporting using the L.A.M.E. codec.

I'm not sure if PT does that. Maybe if it does that would be worth looking into.

Thanks!