Mac Recording Gear

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by dale661, Feb 19, 2008.

1. dale661

dale661 Member

I'm fixing to get into recording, so I'm definitely new to this whole realm of music. I'm not looking at creating studio quality masterpieces or anything like that, but I'm wanting to get something down that is fairly formidable.

I have a MacBook Pro w/ 4 gigs of RAM and am wondering what is probably the best way to start out. I have Garage Band, but I haven't even tried fooling around with it. I've only opened up the program twice.

Tell me if this is what you would do:

I'm looking at picking up a Shure SM57 and one of my friends told me to pick up a ribbon mic. I've also been looking at an e609 as well. I want to dual mic with complementary mics and EQ afterward.

Next, I've been looking at some mixers that operate off of a Firewire connection. I don't know if I want to buy Logic or anything like that at the moment because I'm not all that well "versed" at the moment when it comes to recording.

Anyway, those were just thoughts. I appreciate any feedback or comments that you may have.

Thanks!!!!

2. onemind

onemind Member

A lot depends on what your source material is going to be, are you going to record a live band, just yourself? Overdubs? Acoustics? Loud Guitars? What Space are you using? Frankly I would take some time and perhaps a cheap USB mic, and work a bit with Garageband, just to get used to the workflow and general methods of recording (setting up a headphone mix, multi-tracking etc) There's lots of great reading matter as well.

3. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

The best is Pro Tools HD, starting at 8,000.00 - not avail. for mbp tho ;)

Next up we have Apogee's Ensemble for 2,000.00 plus Logic or Cubase. You can use an Apogee with Pro Tools M-powered if you get an M-Audio lightbridge.

RMS-Fireface w/ Cubase for about 1,200.00

Digidesign M-box2 w/ PT LE for 350.00 -1200.00

Duet w Logic or Cubase. 500.

Prices do not include software

-ZP

4. vladshap

vladshap Member

I would highly suggest to start out with Garage Band. I agree with onemind. Get a cheap mic, and just start recording things into garage band. If you have the latest version of it, you might not need any other software for a little bit. Since the new version allows to record 8 simultaneous tracks. After that I would suggest moving onto Logic, its a very good deal and it would be a pretty easy move from Garage Band. As far as an interface, just like onemind said. If you are planning on recording a live band, or something of that sort but don't want to spend much, I would look into a firepod or so. Its up to you, there are lots of options.

5. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer

That mixer you're taking about is an interface, and it's pretty necessary if you want to do any live tracking. It converts your analog signal to digital so you can use it with your computer, and vice versa so you can listen to your stuff with your monitors. Most interfaces also have built in preamps which boost the signal of your microphone.

There's a lot of interfaces out there, and the most basic thing you'll want to figure out is how many inputs you need. If you only need 2 you'll be able to save a lot of money over if you need something like 8. There's also other options besides firewire. Next it's a question of quality. Of course you want to get the best converters and preamps you can afford, but the truth is if the rest of your setup isn't high end you won't even notice to a point. So if you don't have a decent set of monitors just get something cheap to start out with.

And Garageband is perfect to start out on, especially the latest version.

6. FractalGarden

FractalGarden Member

GB is a great first step. It's ease of use and intuitiveness made it so that I bought my iMac BECAUSE of GB. You'll spend less time fussing over details and more time recording. If your recording lust takes off, like mine did, you'll come to realize that GB is pretty limited in its production value. If/when that time comes, Logic's waiting for you, and all your GB projects can and will import into Logic.

As far as interfaces, which I think is what you were asking about, I prefer the Firewire interfaces vs. USB, though it's a matter of preference. If you have Leopard, though, be sure the firewire interface you have is compatible. I'm using a M-Audio Firewire Solo, and M-Audio has yet (!!) to release OS 10.5 drivers. I'm suffering using the 10.4.10 drivers, and it involves a lot of restarts as a result.

7. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I'm using the Duet with Digital Performer 5.1 on my Mac. It is flipping awesome.