Mac software drum machine???

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by 6789, May 21, 2006.

1. 6789

6789 Member

I'm looking for drum software to run on my Mac.

I have iDrum and it is great for loading up my own drum samples and programing patterns in step mode but it is horrible for arranging patterns into songs.

I tried a demo of RS-16x and it is great for arranging songs but it only programs patterns in real time. it's to frustrating trying to tap a snare fill with mouse clicks.

The software MUST be able to load up my own drum samples. I don't need any factory provided drum samples. Patterns must be able to be programmed in step mode. and must have a good song arranging interface.

thanks for any suggestions.

2. matte

matte Senior Member

NI Battery II

3. 6789

6789 Member

I just downloaded and tried a demo version of Battery II and it looks like it must be great for manipulating samples of drum kits but I don't see anything for programing patterns or songs. Am I missing something?

4. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member

+1 on Battery II. You will need some sort of sequencing software (Sonar, Cubase, Logic, etc.) to run as a host for Battery or most any other similar plugin. I would also recommend a MIDI controller such as the M-audio Oxygen 8.

5. Orren

Orren Member

You want FXPansion's GURU.

Orren

6. scottlr

scottlr Member

Orren,
    What is GURU? And how does it differ from BFD? I personally like the kits that Apple has in GarageBAnd and Logic, as well as the Jam Pack 3. But I have often wondered how well BFD would interface with LE7 and if I'd be able to edit drums right in my matrix editor like I do with the Apple kits.
    BTW, I am only interested in acoustic drum sounds.

7. DK207

DK207 Member

I use Zygoat's Doggiebox program. It is cheap and does what I need (basic drum tracks to function as a beefed up click track). It isn't really pro quality to say the least, but it uses good recorded drum sounds and has many kits to choose from. I think it was like $20 or so. Sounds like you may want something more pro quality, but if not try the demo out.

8. Orren

Orren Member

tedzeppelin wanted a drum sample player that had a pattern sequencer. GURU is a drum sample player that has a pattern sequencer.
    http://www.fxpansion.com/product-guru-main.php

BFD is a very high quality acoustic drum module that gives you a ton of control over it's drum samples, but doesn't load your own samples, or have a pattern sequencer.
    http://www.fxpansion.com/product-bfd-main.php

BFD interfaces with GB/Logic like any other Audio Unit plug-in. You would edit your MIDI notes that trigger it in the Matrix editor as you would any other MIDI instrument. But if you're happy with the included drum kits with GB/Logic, there's no reason to change.

Orren

9. scottlr

scottlr Member

Thanks. While I like the Apple kits, I am always looking for better/different drums.