1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Mac Users - Do I want an Apogee Duet or a Zed10FX?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by 62Tele, May 23, 2011.

1. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I'm looking to do some very simple recording. Pretty much a writing tool, simple solo pieces etc.

I need to record voice and guitar simultaneously, either acoustic or electric, and be able to overdub a second guitar, bass, piano or mandolin etc. I'd like to be able to run a couple of good mics, handle line level signals (guitar or bass via a Tech 21 pedal, keyboards direct). I'll probably just use Garage Band for now since I'm getting the impression that it's enough for my needs.

I'm considering an Allen and Heath Zed10FX for a little live solo setup, but I also see a lot of folks like the Apogee for recording. So the question is, can I get everything I need out of the Zed10FX, or would an Apogee Duet 2 be a better choice?

Thanks in advance!

2. alschnier

alschnier Supporting Member

the apogee is going to sound much better in the long run. ultimately, you can use this for just about any application, including live I/O or for recording with any software ( even protools 9).

3. elpueblosound

elpueblosound Member

I would get the Apogee....plus it looks really cool. : )

4. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

So do I undersand correctly that I can use just mics or line level signals, the Apogee and the laptop without anything else in the chain? I know that mic pre's are a go thing, but is anything else required?

5. snoggin

snoggin Member

yup thats all you need.. Well and a Daw like Pro Tools or Logic

6. gitman

gitman Member

the new Duet-2 is the bee's knees - you absolutely need nothing else for excellent sounding recordings. superb converters, mic-pre's and the software/in's and out's --
    everything is really thought out and a real step up from the first version. the price is also unbeatable.

7. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

You guys have me convinced. Looks like most dealers are waiting on the Duet 2 to be delivered - anyone have them in stock?

8. Dixon

Dixon Member

Interesting thread. I am also looking at recording using a new iMac and have been considering the Duet 2.

Putting aside the obvious price factor, what key advantages/disadvantages would the Ensemble have over the Duet 2? I want to be able to sometimes record small live performances in my studio, so ideally I'd like to be able to have approx 4 mics going at a time? Is the Ensemble the better choice for me?

I am relatively new to home recording, but want to get the "right" equipment the first time for what I hope will be years of recording. Thx

9. cmnyc

cmnyc Member

I record on my MAC laptop with the Duet and Logic Express. I would highly recommend Logic as an important part of your toolkit, and the Duet is wonderful.

For vocals I decided to go with a good mic pre, and I chose the Daking Mic One. It added a lot to the overall sonic quality of the vocals and really made them stand out in the mix.

The other nice thing about the Duet is it is great to use to listen to I Tunes.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  10. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

There's no decision there...go with the Apogee if you're using mac. I would also 2nd upgrading to logic or something as well...but stick with garageband for now, its pretty capable and lets you learn a bit...just move up when you out grow it.

The pre's in the Apogee are also fantastic, only time you really get better pre's is if you're spending multiple times the price...

@Dixon, it's my understanding that the pre's and conversion in the ensemble are slightly better than the duet, however i'm not sure if this is the case with the duet 2. If you're looking at 4 mic's at a time, then there's no real questions, the duet 2 can only do 2 at once, so you're left with the ensemble which gives you 4 great pre's, and as you upgrade later down the track you could get a couple external pre's and run them into the line in's for the same high quality conversion. I would have an ensemble myself if i had the money...instead i just make do with an m-audio profire 2626 and focusrite octopre mkII dynamic...but if i had the money...

11. Dixon

Dixon Member

Thx for the reply. The Ensemble is likely more than a beginner like me needs, but it seems like a fairly sure bet for the long haul. I would go w the Duet 2 and see how it goes, but it is expensive enough on its own that I don't feel like I can get one just to "try" it out.

12. Magic-Sam

Magic-Sam Member

Focusrite Saffire LE has more inputs/outputs monitor and headphone control plus bundled software. That's what I use with Logic Express

13. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Yeh true...but i guess if its of any consolation, getting either of these pieces, they won't lose their value compared to some other brands, it all depends on how much money you can justify...i know i couldn't at the time which is why i don't have the ensemble, but if i had my time over i'd probably look at it a little harder.

14. Dixon

Dixon Member

Thx for the replies and advice. I think the Ensemble makes the most sense if I can swing it.

15. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

i'm pretty sure apogee hardware won't work with protools. whatevs i prefer logic anyway.

16. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

It will with protools 9...i prefer either depending on the situation, but i've explained myself in other threads, so i won't explain myself here haha...just do a gearpage search.

17. SAMO

SAMO Member

Hey guys, I have a Tapco firewire interface I've been using as a sound card for my Mac and Logic express. Would upgrading to an apogee be a worthwhile investment that would be very audible?

18. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

To put it simply, yes and yes. While i can't comment on your Tapco personally, as i don't know what model it is, the audio quality i get from the Duet is better than my Lexicon Lambda, Tascam FW1082, M-Audio Profire 2626 and Focusrite Octopre mkII Dynamic AD/DA. If all you need is 2 channels, then its your best bet, there's some things it doesn't do, which is why most of those things i mentioned still have some use...(profire for expandability, tascam for control surface, octopre for extra pre's), although i can tell you it hasn't got a lot of competition for the things it DOES do in its price range, or even a little higher...(RME babyface comes to mind...but thats more expensive and the jury is still out as to which is really better, its more or less even enough for preference to take over)

19. SAMO

SAMO Member

thanks Nelson...and sorry to the OP for highjacking the thread

20. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

I'm doing some research on signal and wondered about running a pre into another pre..? Isn't that what you're doing when you add the Daking to the Duet? Can you disable the pre on the Duet or does it even matter? And...thanks for the tip on the Daking Mic Pre One- it looks like an exceelent value.