Mac versus PC and other recording questions

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by SimpleMind, Feb 23, 2009.

1. SimpleMind

SimpleMind Member

Hei guys,
    i am quite new to recording. I have an older PC 1GB ram. I want to get more serious with recording and am considering to buy a Mac. Like the new Macs were you have the computer build in the screen.
    Now i am considering to stay with my old computer and get Sonar Cakewalk Powerstudio 660 or get me a MAC and go with Lexicon omega.
    Thankful for every information/tip about the topic.
    Andy

2. SimpleMind

SimpleMind Member

Just forgot one tiny thing. Do i need active monitors and if yes whatfor?

3. beej

beej Supporting Member

I'd say it largely depends which you're more comfortable with, Mac or PC. You can get great results with either.

A decent PC running Reaper is probably the less expensive option.

The recording interface is a separate question and really depends on what you need (# channels, USB vs Firewire, how good to you need the preamps to be, etc.) I have an Omega and use it on a PC running (you guessed it) Reaper, it's ok for what it is. There are a zillion other options out there.

You can get away with a good set of headphones for a while. Eventually you'll want monitors so you can acurately hear what you're mixing.

4. Clumsy Fingers

Clumsy Fingers Member

My own experience using PC/Windows is limited to a couple years, and I'm sure you can do great work on a PC. At this point, I've been using a Mac for many years, so naturally I'm biased. I just like the Mac platform better, and the core audio feature assures Mac users they won't have driver issues (which *used* to be somewhat of an issue w/ PCs, but it's been ages since I've kept up with it, so that may have changed).

What I can say is that I've had this trusty G5 running Digital Performer and lots of plug-ins pretty flawlessly for years. I don't have problems w/ projects crashing and losing hours of hard work, and that's really the important thing for me. I can't promise you'll have the same experience, but my friends who have switched have never regretted moving to the Mac platform.

If you buy an iMac, you'll get a lot of very usable and easy software right out of the gate, including Garageband, which is a very good starting point-it may be all you ever need, depending on how ambitious you are. If you have any friends w/ a Mac, bug them to let you mess around, and get a feel for things: it's the best way to know if it's right for you.

No matter what, though, it's the ideas and how you execute them that matters- have fun, and good luck!