MacBook Air...Recording?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by DOMINIC, Mar 19, 2008.

1. DOMINIC

DOMINIC Member

I'm a traveling musician. I was wondering if the new MacBook Air would be able to handle me recording on it. I usually run Pro Tools LE for my personal recordings with a Mbox 2. I know the Air has only one USB port and no firewire would this be a problem? Also, it has 2GB Ram and 1.6 ghz and a 80gb hard drive is that enough to record with? Thanks

2. kandrus

kandrus Member

The only problem I really see is that you couldn't have your M-Box and external drive at the same time.

If you were doing any amounts of recording, or even storing files to mix, you would find the 80 gb would run out pretty quick.

Kyle

3. DOMINIC

DOMINIC Member

Isn't there a thing called a "Superdrive" out there that has like 2 usb ports and a optical drive? Would that work? Or would it slow the signal down? thanks

4. DOMINIC

DOMINIC Member

i'm wrong that's just for the optical drive. maybe a usb hub would work?

5. mep

mep Supporting Member

I don't think the MacBook Air is the best choice for recording because it doesn't have a firewire input which is almost essential for Pro Tools. It has only one USB port and only a 80gig hard drive.

I think that you would be happier in the long run with a regular MacBook or a MacBook Pro. They aren't that much bigger or heavier, My MBP is only a little over 5lbs and 1" thick. It is a great laptop and I have it upgraded to 4gig of RAM.

6. killerburst

killerburst killerburstguitars.com Silver Supporting Member

That 80gb hard drive is also 4200RPM- too slow for multi-track audio.

7. g-nem

g-nem Member

That was an unintentionally hilarious article. My favorite quote from it:

"One of the programs that comes with Mac computers is the Garage Band music composer. One of my favorite artists, Kelly Clarkson, uses her Garage Band with her bandmates to compose and send music to each other to write to. In fact, track No. 13, "Irvine," on her latest release My December was recorded using Garage Band."

The macbook air is NOT the computer to buy as an audio workstation. The regular macbook is cheaper, not much bigger, and better suited to recording, primarily due to the firewire port which is so much better than usb for audio recording. I think the macbook is even faster than the MBA.

The MBA is sexy, for sure, but just know that that's the reason you are buying it, not because it makes more sense from a portability, power or practical sense. And for the record, it would work fine as a recording computer as long as you are willing to deal with usb interfaces and relatively limited hard drive space.

8. Unburst

Unburst Member

Firewire is better than USB2 for audio, I'd go with a regular Macbook, plenty powerful enough.

9. DOMINIC

DOMINIC Member

Just came from Best Buy and played with the Air. It's actually really NICE. I asked the Best Buy guys about recording and what not, I can tell they don't know **** about them or recording so that wasn't much help. I think I'm just going to go with a regular MacBook. They're actually really light too. Thanks for the replies everyone..

10. g-nem

g-nem Member

Yeay- the MBA's are cool looking, but realistically not that much smaller than a macbook. The thing that is neat about the MBA is that everything is meant to be connected wirelessly to it- wifi, bluetooth, etc. But the regular macbook has all that as well as a firewire port, which is so important for audio.

11. dreamryche

dreamryche Member

I'd never use a MBA for audio. I'd get a MacBook first...sure, it's a bit thicker (but still thin enough at a hair over 1") and a couple pounds heavier, but it's a much more capable machine (and cheaper, too).