macbook pro or air

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Cuthbert, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

Time to get a new laptop, I just run Protools. I like to get refurbished ones. Not sure whether to get a pro, or air or even an imac nowadays.?

2. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

I'd get the MB Pro for music. The Air is fun but less powerful with less I/O. It's for business, not music.

3. theroan

theroan Member

4. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Depends on your needs. There are people doing just fine with an Air. These are not people who record 80-track productions with plugins running on all of them though.

5. octatonic

octatonic Member

For any serious recording the MBP.

I have the Air that I use for a bit of editing on the go but do all my heavy lifting on the Mac Pro in the studio.
    I couldn't imagine running the whole studio from the Air- I imagine it would be frustrating.

6. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Pro. The reason why is that it has more horse power.

7. hearmecrybaby

hearmecrybaby Senior Member

the current macbook airs out-run the last run of macbook pros. in terms of power they really aren't that different these days. its form factor you have to worry about. go with whichever one is more comfortable for you, unless you need firewire, then stick with the MBP.

with the proliferation of thunderbolt and thunderbolt hubs, they will probably be functionally the same within a year or two, save for the MBPs optical drive and internal storage. if you have a modular setup, there isn't much difference.

8. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I have a Macbook AIR, and even though it seems to run perfectly with PT10 in simple tests I haven't had the best of luck in the long haul. It works fine for recording and playback (showing calm usuage amounts on the resource meters) but when I've tried to use it for full 16 track (at a time) remote recordings I've had it lock up consistently perhaps once every 45 minutes to an hour. That said, my same Macbook Air will record 16 tracks with REAPER without any crashes until the hard drive fills up which is about 12 hours straight or so. With Reaper I haven't had one crash on the AIR period. For some reason the code in PT is quite finicky. I may eventually pick up a Thunderbolt hard drive for my Air and test it again as PT is known to not like recording to the OS drive. Perhaps recording to a separate drive is key... Still, for now I simply use Reaper for remote recordings on my AIR, and then bump it into Pro Tools when I'm back on the desktop computer at home.