Mackie CFX series hiss?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Wildwind, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

We bought a new Mackie CFX12 within the month. It's mainly a practice/small gig mixer, not intended for recording.

Whenever you turn up any of the trims much more than half, you get a very annoying hiss. Turn them up 3/4 of the way and the hiss gets bad. Wide open it drives you out of the room. Even with nothing plugged into the channels, it does this, so it's not coming from another source.

I have two cheap Behringers. Same speaker, tried various inputs. Trims wide open result in virtually zero hiss. (I did report this to their tech support.)

The dealer's tech support guy says this is normal and that we shouldn't have to run the trims that wide open. But we have a couple of devices that need trims run higher.

Anybody have any experience with this series? He said it was "normal on this mixer", then implied it was normal on all mixers. Obviously it's not normal since my Behringers don't do it.

I plan to return this and am not sure what to buy. The CFX12 had the perfect mix of features and was a steal at $300 new.

Thanks - Greg

2. modulusman

modulusman Member

I have owned 5 mackie mixers and the CFX was the worst one. I would look for something by Yamaha, Allen & Heath, Soundcraft or Peavey.

3. Wildwind

Your CFX hissed like ours? Anything else to be wary of? It seems real nice otherwise, but this problem is serious IMO.

4. Wildwind

Any thoughts on the Soundcraft EFX8? That would cover us for only $100 more, assuming the Mackie is a goner.

5. modulusman

modulusman Member

i really don't remember the hiss but it seamed that the available gain wasn't there compared to the other mackies I had used. I would have to turn the trims and faders up alot more to get enough volume.

6. Wildwind

Sweetwater is taking it back for a refund. I'll buy something else, just trying to figure out which.

7. modulusman

modulusman Member

I have no experience with the soundcraft EFX8. I do have a LX7 which is a very nice board and has been in use for 6 years with no problems.

8. Wildwind

I bought an EFX12. Sweetwater discounted the price due to the Mackie issues and the additional mic pres will come in handy. People seem pretty fired up about their Soundcraft mixers, so I'm sure it will be great.

Too bad on the Mackie CFX - major bang for the buck feature-wise. But they are now discontinued and Sweetwater sold their last one today (just in time so I didn't have to do an exchange).

9. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

mackies (and most cheap mixers) are awful when it comes to self noise. if you have a couple preamps opened up pretty wide, and your masters up above unity, you will help create self noise.