Mackie DL1608 iPad mixing console. Love it!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by GAT, Feb 7, 2013.

1. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Really digging the new Mackie DL1608 mixing console. The sound quality is really good, lots of cool features and it's really easy to navigate.

Super cool unit that's allowed me to get rid of a ton of outboard gear for my live PA.

The PA is really pared down compared to what I was hauling.

Mackie DL1608
    DBX Drive Rack
    Sennheiser IEM system (for me)
    Rane IEM rack unit
    JBL monitors
    Meyer Sound CQ1 mains
    Meyer Sound 700 HP subs

That's it! Super easy to set up and I love being able to get levels from out front. Saves a ton of time. We're using it again this weekend at a 400-500 person event.

2. EbMM

EbMM Member

Sounds like a fantastic set up my friend! Which DBX drive rack are you using? DriveRack PX I assume?

I have been looking into getting a very similar setup with 2 x QSC K10 for mains, 1 x K sub and something cheaper for stage monitors. The Mackie DL1608 seems like the absolute best option for the player/soundguy.

Please post pics when you get a chance!

3. GAT

Yes, the PX.

Everything fits in a 4 space rack and I carry the Mackie in a laptop case.

We rarely have a soundman and I get the levels out front before we play. Now I don't have to run back and forth to adjust levels, etc. Super fast.

I also love that I play break music throught the iPad and don't have to tie up channels for the playback or for returning effects into channels. Very slick.

Obviously, the Meyer's are heavy beasts, but it is a simple rig.

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Member

My setup is:

Mackie DL1608 (with Airport Express)
    QSC K12 Mains
    1 KSub
    Passive Yamaha monitors driven by a Peavey IPR 3000.

It's a great and easy to use setup. I can haul the whole thing in my Pathfinder with my bass gear. The wireless feature is a bit finicky and requires a very specific startup procedure in order to work.

If you're running stage monitors, the one shortfall of the Mackie is the ability to QUICKLY reduce their level if you start having feedback. With my setup, I can just turn the gain dial on the IPR, but with active monitors it would take a few seconds. I was originally thinking about going with active monitors, but I think I'll keep what I have for that reason.

5. BBN

BBN Member

I had wireless issues as well.....then I bought an apple airport Express and haven't had a problem since. Haven't had to worry about the boot up sequence since then either....

6. GAT

I'm using the Airport Express too. Seems to work great.

7. mattball826

mattball826 Member

make sure to have backup ipad. one of the reasons i dont like these dongle units. already reports of failures.

8. GAT

I bring a small backup mixer, just in case.

9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Member

Anything can fail. My MixWiz failed on me twice.

10. GAT

The Mackie worked flawlessly Friday night. Super easy to use and the screen looked bright in the dim lights.

Very clean sound also.

11. Mayfield

Mayfield Member

Can I ask a few NOOB questions as I was looking at getting this Mackie myself. I was thinking of getting two EONs for Mains...the 650 watt models...active. Will get monitors down the road as I am just using it for a practice PA and to record rehearsals and then to use it for my daughters school events, dance recitals etc.

Does the Mackie drive the mains well enough if they are powered speakers?

Again..I am a total rookie here and learning as I go. I love the flexibility of the iPad interface

Thanks!

12. StratGuy22

StratGuy22 Senior Member

It should be pretty much the same as going to a standalone amp then speakers, the amps are just built into the speakers.

:aok

13. Mayfield

Mayfield Member

Embarrassingly simple answer...man, I have much to learn!

14. StratGuy22

StratGuy22 Senior Member

We all started at the beginning.

:aok

15. GAT

Yes, the DL1608 will easily drive powered speakers.

16. Mayfield

Mayfield Member

Thanks!!

Looks like this may be my answer....

Is it something I can add additional speakers two down the road? Monitors would go through the aux outputs right? What if I wanted two more mains speakers? Do I daisy chain the mains?

17. onemind

onemind Member

When you start adding more speakers you might want more routing options (or a multi-purpose device like the drive-rack) You'll want control over separate levels, perhaps the ability to delay a signal depending on speaker location, different eq, feedback elimination as well.

18. Mayfield

Mayfield Member

Ahh, now that makes sense as I was seeing others referring to a Drive Rack. So I would connect the Mackie to the Drive Rack, then the speakers to the drive rack?

Here is a future application....

Using it for events at at school. So using their big auditorium...mains would be on side of stage.....then depending on size of venue I might need two more speakers out on the sides in the audience (these are dance recitals, so the music is a big part of the experience) Then for the performers I would have two to four monitors on stage.

That sort of thing. Obviously, that same set up would work for our band when we play at events that do not supply the PA.

Hope this all made sense. Thanks everyone for the great help!

19. StratGuy22

StratGuy22 Senior Member

Yup. Monitors connect to th aux sends.

To have delay speakers half way down the auditorium, you would have to be able to delay the signal on the aux. if you double up your tops for FOH, if they are powered they should have a pass through to connect another similar one...

20. Mayfield

Mayfield Member

Got it! Thanks!!

I was thinking of going with larger mains to start with in the hopes that I do not have to add down the road. Maybe a sub later.....but was looking at the 650 watter EONs to start with.