Mackie MCU Pro + Logic X

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Crowder, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I was recently offered a Mackie MCU Pro at a nice price and figured I'd pick it up and see if I could learn my way around on it.

[​IMG]

Integration with Logic X was painless and easy. I've learned probably 20% of the available features, so it's hard to say whether or not this is going to be a permanent piece of my setup. I still find myself using my keyboard and mouse a lot because that's what I'm used to. I need to really dig in and learn this thing if it's going to be much use to me.

Anyone else gone down this road? Long-term satisfaction?

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I've thought about it, but I'm so used to dealing with keyboard and mouse and work so fast that way that I'm not sure how much use it would be.

I'd be really interested in knowing how you feel about this workflow in a month or two... maybe I'd change my mind.

3. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I've had it for a few weeks now, and I haven't integrated too many of the features into my workflow at this point. I find myself using the simplest of the features, like the transport buttons. The MCU Pro will allow me to insert plugins on a channel and adjust them using its controls, but it's no quicker than doing it with kb and mouse. I haven't learned how to trim clips with it yet, which keeps sending me back to my kb shortcuts.

This is a neat piece of gear, but I think I'd prefer to have the space on my desk. I've ordered some keyboard stickers with a lot of the Logic X shortcuts on them. I think that will suit me better.