mackie mr5 and mr8

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Guitarplayerdan, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

Alright so i went to guitar center today to get me krk rp6. But they didn't have any. So I listen to the rp8 and rp5s. I wasn't impressed it sounded slightly muddy, and after all the great reviews I read I was really supprised. I listened to the yamaha hs seris and both were good but with exhagerated high mids. Then he showed me the mackie mr8s and DANG! They had great all around response.

But i Just didn't have the money, he said "go ahead and buy the mr5, and if you bring them back you will get a full refund, but you wont bring them back"

Get this, i was $20 short, and he wouldn't come down on the mr5s. So i said left that place. I want to know what people thought about them, I only herd the mr8s and the mr5s were boxed (thats why he was going to give me full refund since I couldn't hear them). What do you guys think? I may just wait and get some 8s off ebay. Or better yet $400 what monitors should I get.

2. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

ask about what kind of refund you'd get if you buy the 8s and don't like them.

but check the prices of used ones on ebay, in case you have to sell them because they wouldn't take them back.

I guess it depends on how much listening you do with them. Most of the pros i've spoken to prefer passive monitors with separate power amps, citing ear fatigue from powered monitors as the main reason. No, I personally have not observed the effect. I'm still monitoring either through my home stereo or headphones.

I used to be hot for the first gen Mackie 8somethingsomething. Prices just never came down enough, used prices were ridiculous. Then i started hearing negative things (fatigue) even about them.