Mackie Onyx 1640 mixer with Firewire

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by riffmeister, Mar 10, 2006.

1. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

2. riffmeister

no replies....

okay, I'll let you know what I think when we try one out in the studio next week. From the specs I think it will be a keeper.

3. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

4. riffmeister

Thanks! Interesting......will be using the 1640 Onyx with Firewire to replace two Firepods.......so I was particularly pleased to read that you think the Mackie has superior preamps.

We will be using the Mackie board to monitor the mix and recording via Firewire into Nuendo. With 10 mics on the drums, two guitars, bass, and vocals, we will have just enough inputs......should be fun!!

5. FlyingVBlues

One thing I didn't mention is that all of the Mackie 1640's recording outputs are Pre-EQ, which means that you can't take advantage of the Perkins EQ while recording. Mackie should have made this a selectable option, allowing you to put EQ in the recording chain if you want it. All of the older Mackie mixers like the VLZ-Pro had Post-EQ recording outs, so I'm not clear as to why Mackie didn't do this with the Onyx mixers too. It's not an issue for me because Sonar's EQ capability is quite good and so I don't need to use EQ in the in-coming signal path. However, it is an issue for some people. A company called Technical Services in Dallas can perform a mod to fix this for a modest fee. If you're interested contact John Eldridge. His phone number is 972-421-4230, and his email is support@tecserv.biz. Technical Services is a authorized Mackie service center. If you want the EQ mod done they will point out that this is not an official Mackie sanctioned mod and therefore the mod is not cover under the warranty. However, having the mod performed won't affect the warranty on the mixer or the firewire card.

FVB

6. riffmeister

yeah, I saw one of those modded versions on ebay. direct out to recording is okay with me.....we spend alot of time getting the mics on the drums perfect...

7. straticus

straticus Member

I was looking at the same mixer. They look sweet! Still might get one in a few months. Hey Riff, are you going to be selling those FirePods? If so, I might be interested in one. I already have one. How did they work as a pair?

Regarding the EQ not being in the signal path, I don't really have a problem with it .......... but it would be nice to have a choice as to whether or not it's in the chain. My real concern is that say Mackies' next version does have that option and BLAMO! the value of my new Onyx (with out the option) just hit the floor. I hate it when that happens.

8. riffmeister

hey Straticus!

We will be keeping the Firepods.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean about the future upgrade.....:BITCH

The only thing I will miss is not having an insert on a couple of the drum channels......it might be nice to do a little compression going in.......oh well, more time spent in Nuendo.....;)

9. straticus

straticus Member

Are you saying the channel inserts aren't in the firewire signal chain on the Mackie? If that's true I'd say they really screwed up. So, no EQ or inserts in the Mackie firewire ................ it's making me second guess getting one.

Maybe I'll stay with my original idea and just get another FirePod. How did your two FirePods work together? Any problems?

10. riffmeister

the two Firepods worked fine together (daisy-chained).

yes......as far as I can tell, with the Mackie it is input -> preamp -> firewire. the EQ, low cut filter, inserts, aux send/returns are post-firewire.

however, we used the 1640 tonight for recording (all 16 channels were being used), and I must say, it sounds great.....drums, guitars, bass, vocals.....everything sounds GREAT!!

the advantage of using the Mackie is that we can create a very useful headphones mix while we record (and dry signal goes the computer via firewire). using the Firepods we were stuck with mono and no control over instrument levels in the headphones......yuk!

what we will try next session is to use one of the Firepods as a preamp for the two snare and two kick mics, send these signals from the direct outs to two dbx 1066 compressors, and send the processed signals to four inputs on the Mackie. all the other signal processing to create a mix will be done in Nuendo.

anyway........two thumbs up for the Mackie on it's maiden voyage!!

11. straticus

straticus Member

Thanks for the info Riff.

What was the main reason for switching to the Onyx? Does it sound better than the FP?

My band needs a new mixer for rehearsal, small gigs, etc. So the Mackie, with it's firewire option still looks like a good way to go for us. It would cover a lot of different bases ............ including recording.

12. riffmeister

Haven't done an A/B yet.....but just listening to a couple of recordings we've made using the Mackie, I can say for sure that it sounds quite good! I will report back with a true A/B comparison when we do it.

The reason for the switch from FP to Onyx was so that we can monitor ourselves with a useful headphone mix (set instrument levels, EQ, and pan) while recording. Couldn't do that with the FP's unless we monitored at the computer and then latency rears it's ugly head.

13. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I don't know whether this is similar to my Onyx 400F, but I have been really impressed by the overall sound quality of the 400F. It's really as plug-n-play as they come. I was up and running in a matter of minutes making clips. :AOK

14. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

My 1640 with Firewire has done nothing but treated my right. I love it.

15. FlyingVBlues

The 400F has the same underlying architecture and uses the same mic preamps, A/D & D/A converters and Firewire interface. It doesn't have the Perkins EQ, Aux sends, faders, etc. that are components of the Onyx mixers.

FVB

16. reganjeremy

reganjeremy Member

Hey Riff, we use one of these mixers in for live stuff and also for recording using the firewire with Tracktion. I think it's fantastic.. sounds great, easy to use, the onyx board has everything I would want except an easy way to do a monitor circuit. I think tracktion is very nice for the price..

The firepods look great too, a friend of mine said he has had a lot of good luck recording with them. I've got to say one thing about Tracktion is that it works well on my mac but the hardware licensing thing doesn't work properly. Best of luck with it...

I'm sure you have a lot more gear than we do for use for recording, but we use a dbx dual-channel compressor in aux 1 and 2, and two SM58's, one Shure condenser of some type (it's ok but not great), and an AKG D890.. I use the AKG for recording my tophat and it gets a wonderful response.. I do have to do some EQ afterwards but I think that's pretty normal.. Thought you would maybe think that's useful tho b/c I think you also use a super deluxe. I've tried out a few combinations of the different speakers in there and different combos of the mics and I always come back to the AKG on the Vintage 30 speaker -- i tried the AKG on the G12H30 and it was more harsh but had better end.