Mackie Onyx 400F arrives...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by cocheese, Dec 14, 2005.

1. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

Well, I got the unit the other day and had a chance to play around with it last night. Boy, what an intuitive "plug and play" kind of device! I was up and running within minutes. I have yet to make any clips :rolleyes: , but it sure won't be because it's too difficult. By comparison, it wounds light years better than the MBox I had a couple years back. I'm excited for the wintery weather to keep me housebound so I can record some CLIPS! :RoCkIn

2. Blueser

Blueser Member

:dude :dude

Now if I could only spend some time with mine! I have a six week old, and a three year old competing for my time these days!

3. cocheese

Well, the first recording I made was of just acoustic guitar, then my 4 year old and 10 year old came in and wanted to record themselves laughing and being goofy. I put all sorts of phasing and delay on it and we agreed that it ended up sounding pretty spooky really.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

How are the preamps and EQ? They claim to have made big improvements in both.

Blueser, mazel tov on the new rug rat! I had no idea.

5. cocheese

The preamps sound very good. They seem to have a very neutral sound to them, not too bright and not too warm if that makes sense. I recorded a little acoustic guitar as well as the kids goofing around. Both times the tones I got with an AT 4050 were very nice. I'm not going to need an outboard preamp with this guy. I'm going to try and make some electric clips soon, but with the holidays coming it will probably be delayed! :mad:

6. Blueser

Blueser Member

Michael,

The preamps are definitely clean. There is no EQ on the 400F, only the mixer variants.

Thanks on the well wishes on the baby. I have been low key of late, but I should post some pics in the pub.

Regards,
    B

7. cocheese

Gee Blueser! I must have just missed the part of your post where you said "six week old". Huge congrats! I can certainly see why you haven't had a chance to record anything yet.

8. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

My 400F is due to arrive tomorrow and I'm very excited. I've been selling off my Pro Tools gear at a tremendous loss, but it was way more than I needed. I had more dollars than "sense" when I bought it.

I think the time has come when CPU-based audio processing can really start to keep up with the big boys. Sort of...

9. cocheese

Flavum,

I think you'll be very happy with it. I couldn't be happier with mine. I wanted something that sounded good, was "all-in-one", and was easy to use. The 400F delivers in spades.

10. Tom CT

Well, I'm just getting started with the Onyx, and I have some misgivings. I don't believe it's actually the Onyx that's at fault, but rather Mac OS X and Core Audio.

Running Digital Performer on my 2ghz iMac G5 w/2gb RAM, if I open a simple 3-track MIDI file (keys, bass and drums) and replace one track of Apple's built-in Software Synthesizer with a virtual synth I get terrible crackling and popping. I've used both Native Instrument's B4 II and East-West's Bosendorfer 290 (loading a very small patch). Bosendorfer is a Kontakt sample-based synth while B4 creates its own sound algorithms, so they're very different VIs. They both perform miserably. Changing buffers and latency settings have been no help so far.

I can't wait to try to record some stuff. Yikes...

11. retro

retro Member

Flavum

Don't have one but have been following the unit with interest. What version OSX?
    I can't tell from your post if you were changing settings in DP only. My understanding is even if the console software is closed the 400f still uses whatever buffer settings the console software was set at for stand alone operation. I've read some people have had to set the buffer up to 512 in the console software using some software instruments. Dunno if that's your issue though. Since I am interested in the unit I am curious to know what buffer settings you are using to know if this is going to be an issue for any of us Mac guys. Thanks.

12. Tom CT

Retro - I still have to perform some more buffer/latency adjustments in DP, the plug-ins, and Onyx to see if one combination works. But you'd think that the default settings would work for one lousy virtual instrument. There are NO crackling issues when using my Mac's built-in audio, and I can load up VIs until I run out of processing power (at least 5 or 6 instances). I don't know whether to complain to Apple, Mackie, MOTU or Native Instrments. Quite the conundrum.

I'm running OS 10.4.3 and DP 4.6.1. I keep everything completely up to date - I figure that most software updates are released for a reason.

13. retro

retro Member

Yeah I hear ya!