Mackie Onyx Blackbird on Lion

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by customstrat92, Jan 28, 2012.

1. customstrat92

customstrat92 Member

Hi, I just switched over from a Mackie 1220i interface to the Onyx Blackbird. Everything was fine running the 1220i on Mac OSX Lion with Logic 9, but now I have hit some snags with the Blackbird. I read up on the Mackie forums to get the interface up and running on Lion, but now my problems are with the monitoring. The Blackbird Control crashes every time I try so until Mackie fixes that I am trying to get around it. For what I am doing I only need one monitor mix, but the interface mixes its input with Logic's output so I have no way to control my mixes when I am recording. To put it simply, can I just listen to Logic's output when I am recording a track without running the Blackbird Controller?

2. levous

levous Member

Was considering that interface because it was <400 on a daily deal site the other day. Internet crowd turned me off of it for just this reason. Apparently Mackie isn't ready for digital and their driver development is pathetic.
    Too bad. Been convinced I need those mic pres for 10 years but now I may just go apogee and work inside the daw.

3. customstrat92

customstrat92 Member

The mic pres are good, I decided I wanted more than on my 1220i. I just assumed the Blackbird would work just as well on my system, but it does not. Even if I cannot resolve this issue soon I think I'll still hold on to it for a while and hope for the best!

4. george4th

george4th Gold Supporting Member

The Lion drivers are supposed to be out before the end of March, I have been waiting since July. Mackie is slow on driver release. The unit works fine just not the control interface.
    G