Mackie Onyx Pre's

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Boxnix, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Boxnix

Boxnix Member

I hear people talk about how nice and transparent they are but can anyone comment on how "good" an onyx pre is? I would like to improve my vocal recordings but I'm trying to decide if I can get a significant improvement by going with something like an RNP. Do the Onyx pre's compete with the 500-1K range pre amps?

2. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

The Onyx preamps are very good for a project studio or a live board. They are not as good as the more professional preamps because they do not have an input transformer. In my opinion, the St. Ives input transformers used in the Neve 1272 and 1072, are magical.

I do have an Onyx board with firewire, and the preamps are fairly decent. But, yeah there's no comparison to an Avalon, API, Neve or Portico.

Having said that, I have to ask: What microphone are you using? Because if you have a 100-200 dollar microphone, you would benefit far more from a microphone upgrade than a preamp upgrade. Get a nice, warm condenser if you don't have one.

-Z

3. Boxnix

Boxnix Member

I'm using a Rode NT1. Its ok, my voice is mediocre at best so I may be trying to put a dress on a pig. I got slightly better results by recording with an SM57 next to it in stereo. I intended to A/B them but I found that they sounded much better together.

4. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

Yeah, you need a mic more than a preamp I think. :) Some people mesh with certain mics. In a studio, a vocalist can try out as many as 8 high quality mics and not find a match for their voice. I had a girlfriend once who only sounded good on ribbon mics.

-Z

5. Michaelisms

Michaelisms Member

I'm using a Mackie Onyx Series 1620 to record rehearsals and I've been pretty happy with them. I think they sound much better than the M-Audio Delta pres I was using. Be careful of the Mackie's below the 1640 Model as you can't actually use the Perkins EQ's unless you have the board modded. Otherwise, I like them. I'm with these other guys though. A nice sounding mic can go a long way.